Santonu
Santonu, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Diploma in Hardware

A warning window keeps popping up. In the title area is [JavaScript

Customer Question

A warning window keeps popping up. In the title area is [JavaScript Application] and in the subject area is "Type Error: browser is unidentified". This just started occurring on its own, without my having knowingly made any changes to settings.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Santonu replied 5 years ago.

Please let me know the name of your antivirus/ security software (if any)

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
AVG Free - version 8.5.339
Expert:  Santonu replied 5 years ago.
Did you used any other antivirus software recently apart from AVG (like avast) ?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I used to use avast, but I changed to AVG months ago. I have been using AVG with no problem until just recently when this warning message started popping up.
Expert:  Santonu replied 5 years ago.
The problem sometime caused when there are some traces of Avast present on your system.

To resolve the issue, please try the following:

1 Goto the following link to download Removal Tool for Avast

http://www.avast.com/eng/avast-uninstall-utility.html

Download the tool to your desktop. Restart the computer and start it in safe mode. For that repeatedly tap the F8 key before windows starts to load.

You will see a menu. Select safe Mode from there and press Enter

Once in safe mode, run the removal tool and restart the computer when completed

2 If the error appears again,

a) Uninstall AVG from control Panel-> Add or Remove Programs

b) Try the following link to download removal tool for AVG

http://www.avg.com/download-tools

You will need to download AVG Remover (32 Bit)

Once downloaded, run the tool and restart the computer.

c) Download The latest version of AVG from the following link and install the same

http://filehippo.com/download_avg_antivirus/

d) Restart the computer once more and test the issue

If it does not help, please let me know so that I can follow up further

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Unfortunately we are leaving right now for Memorial Day weekend. Additional information that I just discovered: the warning pops up only on my user account; it does not occur when my wife uses her account so it must be some user setting. I will attempt to follow up with you when we return on Monday. Thanks for your help so far. By the way, I did use your instructions for removing avast, which was successful but the warning still pops up on my user account.
Expert:  Santonu replied 5 years ago.
Please try to uninstallal and then reinstall AVG when you return and let me know

You can also try the following

Click Start-> Run
Type msconfig and press Enter
Click on the Startup tab
Click Disable All
Click Apply and Ok
Restart your computer and test the issue. If the error does not appear, try to enable one item at a time and test the issue.

If all of these fails, we will try some other steps

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am back! I tried your suggestions and this is what I found. After I removed AVG and before reinstalling it, it seemed like my problem was solved. The warning message did not appear when it usually had. However, after I reinstalled AVG, it came back. Now what?
Expert:  Santonu replied 5 years ago.
Please let me know if you tried to disable the startup items from msconfig as I mentioned in my last reply.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I forgot to mention that I had tried the startup disable, and I just tried it again, both times to no avail.
Expert:  Santonu replied 5 years ago.
Okay, please try the following:

1. Enable the startup items in msconfig

2. Uninstall AVG and use the AVG remover tool

3. Restart the computer

4. Click Start-> Run
Type msconfig and press Enter
Click on the Startup tab
Click Disable All
Click on the Services tab
Clisk on the checkbox Hide all Microsoft Services (the list of services will be shortened after clicking the checkbox)
Click Disable All
Click Apply and Ok

5. Restart the computer once more

6. Now install AVG

Please let me know if the problem is still there

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I just followed your last set of instructions. After step 5 but before step 6 I did not get the warning message. After step 6 I did get a slightly different warning message saying "TypeError: browser is undefined" (not unidentified as before).
Expert:  Santonu replied 5 years ago.
Okay, please try to make Internet Explorer as your default browser as follows:

Click Start-> Run

Type inetcpl.cpl and press Enter

Click on the Programs tab

If you are using IE 6 then

Click on the checkbox Internet Explorer should check to see whether.....

Click Apply and Ok

Restart IE and if you are asked to make it default, select Yes

If you are using IE 7

Click on Make Default

Click Apply and Ok

Now try to restart the computer

If the error messege still appears please let me know

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
After the above steps, the error message appears if I use Firefox but does not appear if I use Explorer. However, I have been using Firefox for several years as my default because I prefer it. This error message started appearing just recently.
Expert:  Santonu replied 5 years ago.
Please let me know if you get the messege when you open firefox or when windows starts ?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I get the message after I open Firefox, go to gmail, and attempt to "compose mail". It appears again when I attempt to type my message.
Expert:  Santonu replied 5 years ago.
My last suggestion will be to:

1. Close any open firefox window

2. Click Start-> All Programs-> Mozilla Firefox-> Mozilla Firefox (Safe Mode)

You will see a window like the following:

graphic

3. Click on Disable all add-ons

4. Click Make Changes and Restart

Now test the issue with firefox

If this does not help, let me know. I will opt out to let other experts to provide you with a solution.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This appears to have worked, but am I going to miss any of the add-ons I just disabled?
Expert:  Santonu replied 5 years ago.
The next step will be to enable one ad-on at a time and test the issue after each to identify the add-on which is creating the problem

To enable the add-ons, open Firefox and

Click Tools-> Add-ons-> Extensions tab

Select a add-on and click Enable

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It appears that AVG Security Toolbar 2.1.0.7 is the culprit. It is the only add-on that causes my problem. I guess I don't really need it anyway. Maybe you can use this for future reference. Thanks for your patience and your help.

By the way, I noticed that my credit card has been charged already for this service, even though I never clicked the Accept button. If I click it, am I going to get charged twice?
Expert:  Santonu replied 5 years ago.
I have seen this problem caused by AVG before, but in those cases, it resolved after reinstalling AVG.

The amount you deposited is in your Just Answer account and will only be transfered to the experts when you get a solution and click Accept.

Thanks