Simit, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  6 Years of experience in Computer, Networking, and Phone Systems.

I have the Complete National Geographic Magazine (1888-1990s)

I have the Complete National Geographic Magazine (1888-1990s) on CR-ROMs. They are specified for use on Windows 95 and 98 and won't install on my Windows XP PC.

Is there any way I could install this set for use on XP?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Simit replied 7 years ago.
According to National Geographic's site, you might be able to get it to run using the following steps, but it seems like this may not be a guarunteed fix:

1. Click on the Start button.
   2. Go to All Programs then Accessories.
   3. Select the Program Compatibility Wizard.
   4. Select for it to look into the CD drive.
   5. Choose for it to run in Windows 98/ME mode.

Let me know if that doesn't work for you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Nope. Regretably that didn't work. I tried both clicking on the D drive in "My Computer" and inserted D:\SETUP.EXE under RUN. No luck.

It's a great set. I don't understand why NGS doesn't upgrade it for XP, Vista and Windows 7.

Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Simit replied 7 years ago.
One thing you can consider is buying an old computer for it. You can get a computer that is more than powerful enough, with Windows 98 loaded on it, for a pretty decent price:|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'm sorry, but my question had to do with running NGS CD-ROMs on XP. Your initial solution did not work, and I don't think that buying an older computer with 98 is really an answer to my question. However, you took some time to research the problem so I'll authorize the minimum payment, not $16.00.