Russell H., Computer Systems Expert
Experience:  13+ years experience
13568747

the printer grabs the paper and pulls to one side causing a

Customer Question

the printer grabs the paper and pulls to one side causing a paper jam. How do I fix this?
It is a Canon iP 2600, 90 days old.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 7 years ago.
  1. Open the Printer properties.

For Windows Vista

• Click / Select 'Start' from the bottom left of the Windows screen, 'Control Panel', 'Hardware and Sound', and then click on 'Printers'. Note: If you are in 'Classic' view, Click 'Printers' directly from the 'Control Panel'.
    • Click your right mouse button on the listing for your printer, and then select 'Preferences' from the menu that appears.

For Windows XP Home Edition

• Click / Select 'Start' from the bottom left of the Windows screen, 'Control Panel,' 'Printers and Other Hardware,' and 'Printers and Faxes.'

For Windows XP Professional Edition

• Click 'Start' from the bottom left of the Windows screen, and 'Printers and Faxes.'

For Windows 2000

• Click / Select 'Start' from the bottom left of the Windows screen, and 'Settings,' then 'Printers.'
    • Click your right mouse button on the listing for your printer, and then select 'Properties' from the menu that appears.

2. Click the 'Maintenance' tab and click 'Roller Cleaning'.

3. Remove all sheets of paper from the rear tray.

4. Confirm the following message, and click 'OK'.

Note: Clicking 'OK' will activate the paper feed rollers 30 times. This activation will take about 90 seconds. Do not perform other operations until this operation has finished.

5. Confirm the following message, and click 'OK'.

6. After the continuous paper feeding operations in step 5 have finished, load three sheets of plain paper and click 'OK'.

7. Confirm the following message, and click 'OK'.

Note: The following message is displayed when the paper is fed and ejected.

8. Click 'OK'.

9. If the problem is not resolved, turn off the printer, unplug the power plug, and then wipe the paper feed roller (A) located on the right side inside the Rear Tray with a moistened cotton swab or the like. Rotate the roller (A) manually as you clean it. Do not touch the roller with your fingers; rotate it with the cotton swab. If this does not solve the problem, contact your Canon Service representative.

This can be found here
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I performed the maintenance you suggested but the roller still grabs the paper and pulls from the right side. I cleaned the roller again but still grabs. Any other suggestion?
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 7 years ago.
Unfortunately that is all I can think of at the moment so I will opt out and let other experts answer.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 7 years ago.
Hello... I would like to try to help with the problem.

First thing I would try is, using a flashlight or other light source, and seeing if, further into the paper path, where the paper feeds into the printer, whether there is any obstruction(s) visible on the side that lags behind when paper is pulled in. If so, remove it carefully with a tweezers.

Second, make sure that the blank paper is held snugly (but without bending the paper either) with the movable paper guide on one side holding it into a neat stack. Illustrations may help:
graphic
Which shows in (A), the paper guide being adjustable after it is pinched, and it should be moved snug up against the side of the stack of paper.
The stack of paper should not be so thick as to rise above the line at (2).
And, important!:

(3) Set the paper thickness lever properly according to the media .

Paper other than envelopes-> Left side

Envelopes/T-Shirt Transfers -> Right side

(Also, if none of that remedies things, take the paper out again, look down at that roller that grabs and feeds the paper: is it rough on the surface? or is it tightly against its seat at both ends? if space shows through at one end, that would explain the misfeed.)