David L
David L, Systems Engineer
Experience:  Microsoft & Cisco Certified with over 20 years experience
13852270

I cant open my gmail messages; when I click on one, all it

Customer Question

I can't open my gmail messages; when I click on one, all it does is highlight the word where the cursor was when I clicked
Category: Computer
Expert:  Santonu replied 5 years ago.

Can you tell me from when this problem started ?

Also, tell me what happens when you left click on an empty area of your desktop. Do you see a menu ?

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

This began 3 days ago.

No menu pops up when I left click on an empty area.

Expert:  Santonu replied 5 years ago.
Please let me know the name of your browser (like Internet Explorer, Firefox etc)

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Internet explorer

Expert:  Santonu replied 5 years ago.

First let us try to clear the broser cache using the following method:

If you are using Internet Explorer 6

1. Open Internet Explorer
2. Click the Tools menu at the top of your browser, and select Internet Options.
3. Click the General tab at the top of the dialogue box.
4. Click Delete Files under Temporary Internet files.
5. Select Delete all offline content by checking the box.
6. Click OK.

If you are using Internet Explorer 7:

1. Open Internet Explorer
2. Click Tools > Internet Options.
3. Select the General tab.
4. Click Delete under Browsing History.
5. Under Temporary Internet Files, click Delete Files.
6. Click Delete Cookies.
7. Click OK.

Restart Internet Explorer and try to login to Gmail and then try to open any messege.

Please let me know if you still see the same problem. If yes then we will try another procedure

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

How do I find out if I have 6 or 7?

Expert:  Santonu replied 5 years ago.
Please open Internet Explorer, click Help-> About

You will find the version there (the version number may be a little bigger that 6 or 7. Just see the first number)

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

When I open Internet explorer it takes me to MSN, a news site. I finally tried your list of instructions under option 7, and everything made sense, then I got to the advice you gave to restart internet explorer, and I don't know how to do that without losing our conversation. I tried to minimize this page and just log into gmail, but it didn't work.

Expert:  Santonu replied 5 years ago.
We need to restart Internet Explorer at leat once.

First try to add this page to favorites by pressing Ctrl + D

Please try to clear the browser cache once more.

Then restarts Internet Explorer and try Gmail.

Then login to Just Answer. You will find this question under My Questions

Direct link for this question is:

http://www.justanswer.com/questions/23juq-cant-open-gmail-messages-click

Please let me know

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I will follow your advice. I have never saved or retrieved a favorite before, but I will try. ALSO... I just tried to copy and paste your info, and while I could drag and highlight it all, when I went to right click so I could copy it, nothing happened. It's as if the right click isn't working. Anyway, I'll get back with you asap and thanks, Joni
Expert:  Santonu replied 5 years ago.
Please let me know

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Nothing worked so far
Expert:  Santonu replied 5 years ago.
Sorry for the delay.

I think you are using Internet Explorer 7. If so, please try the following

Click Start button-> All Programs -> Accessories-> System Tools-> Internet Explorer (No add-ons)

Now open gmail and test the issue

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did it but no change resulted
Expert:  Santonu replied 5 years ago.
Well my last suggestion will be to try a system restore to get back to a previous date (when the problem was not there)

To restore:

Click Start- >Programs-> Accessories-> System Tools-> System Restore. Click Next, select a date when your computer worked fine, click Next twice.
Wait for restore operation to complete. When it does, the computer will restart automatically

If this fails too, please let me know. I will opt out to let other experts provide you with a different solution

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I guess we need the other experts because this also failed.
Expert:  Santonu replied 5 years ago.
Okay, please wait for a while, other experts will join you soon

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you
Expert:  David L replied 5 years ago.

What is the name of your antivirus software?

Next I recommend that you update your antivirus software and run a complete scan of your PC - the symptoms you describe happen often with certain malware infections.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

We have McAfee and 6 weeks ago just bought and installed their most recent update software. I also have Defender.

Now, that's not to say some virus couldn't have gotten through. Is there a way to check and see?

Expert:  David L replied 5 years ago.

Yes. Do the following:

1. Start the McAfee Security Center

2. "View Recenter Events" or "Reports & Logs" if your are in "Advanced Menu"

3. Click "View Log"

4. Select "Detection Log"

5. Also check scan statistics by selecting "Scan Information"

This should tell you if any infections were found and the last time the scan was run. If the last full scan was more than 3 days ago I recommend updating and running a scan.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I tried this and when I chose View Log it said no logs exist
Expert:  David L replied 5 years ago.
Ok, then go ahead and start the complete scan. It should update first and then start.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
McAfee just finished running the full scan and detected no viruses or problems
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have to leave-- sorry! I've been on for hours trying to get this solved. I will start trying again tomorrow morning. If you would like to call me tomorrow I think we'd be able to do this much quicker and more efficiently. XXX-XXX-XXXX. If not, thanks anyway for your time thus far and sorry we didn't come to a solution.
Expert:  David L replied 5 years ago.
Just Answer does not allow exchange of personal contact information but I do have some other ideas on what could be the cause of the issue.

When the issue first occurred did you recently install any applications or hardware?

Try rebooting the PC and then press F8 at the Windows XP progress bar and then select and boot into Safe Mode with Networking. Now try the same icons and let me know if you get the same result.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am in safe mode with networking, but none of the problems seem resolved. Also, everything is now enlarged and I'm getting messages from McAfee that I'm not protected now, yet they can't fix it due to an error. Can you help me reverse whatever we just did when I went to Safe with Networking?
Expert:  David L replied 5 years ago.
Yes. Reboot your PC and let it boot normally and that should resolve the McAfee issue.

What is the error that is displayed by McAfee?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Okay, I managed to turn the computer off and then on again. Is the whole "Safe with Networking" thing gone? McAfee appears to be resolved. What can we do now about my inability to get gmail messages opened?
Expert:  David L replied 5 years ago.
Yes, Safe Mode with Networking is a trouble shooting feature included in Windows that disables all but the critical drivers and many services so you will not see it unless you manually choose Safe Mode with Networking.

Please provide detail on the error that was displayed by McAfee when in Safe Mode with Networking.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

1- So are we off Safe Mode with Networking, or do I need to do something to reverse that?

2- McAfee gave no error numbers; it just said all the features were either unprotected or needed attention. And after turning the computer off, McAfee appears to be working fine now.

Expert:  David L replied 5 years ago.
No, Safe Mode with Networking is something you can enable or disable manually. Currently it is disabled so you don't have to be concerned about it right now.

For the icons on your desktop that are not working, are they shortcuts to websites? Can you doubleclick and open My Computer?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Icons that don't open are for websites and for my gmail. When I doubleclick on My Computer, I get that pop up white box that offers me choices, including "open." This is an extra step that didn't used to happen
Expert:  David L replied 5 years ago.
Does the box that pops up when you double click My Computer say "Open With" and provide the ability to browse and select an application for opening it?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no. It just says open in boldface type at the top of a list within a white box
Expert:  David L replied 5 years ago.
What is in the list?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Open, Explore, Search, Manage, Scan, Map Network Drive, Disconnect Network Drive, Show on Desktop, Rename, and Properties
Expert:  David L replied 5 years ago.

Ok, then next I recommend you clicking the link below and download and run another malware scan using House Call. All antivirus programs do not cover all malware issues so this will help to catch anything that McAfee may have missed since the issue still looks like a malware infection:

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/uk/t

If the above does not resolve all the issues then try the following script and let me know if it resolves the desktop issue:

http://www.kellys-korner-DANGEROUS URL REMOVED

Click on the link and then save the file and then run the file which is designed to fix desktop shortcut issues. After running the script try double clicking on My Computer to see if that issue has been resolved.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It's as if the computer is ignoring my mouse. I clicked on the first link you suggested, but couldn't open it. I typed your 2nd link into my browser, but it only took me to a list of several web sites. (I'm also wondering if this is more of a mouse problem than I thought, since the icons on my desktop appear to think my left click is a right click-- and that white box pops up)
Expert:  David L replied 5 years ago.
What type of mouse are you using? Is it wireless? Do you have another you can use as a test?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It's wireless. I have a wire one I can use, but don't know how to hook it up/plug it in. Also, I need to run my daughter somewhere and will be back in 15 mins.
Expert:  David L replied 5 years ago.

Ok, just let me know when you return.

To plug the mouse in look at the connector at the end of the cord and match it up with a port on the PC - once plugged in the PC should automatically recognize it.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm looking on the back of the hard drive and can't find a portal that matches
Expert:  David L replied 5 years ago.

Is the connector on the wired keyboard round or oval shape and silver?

Also check on the front as well.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It had a round adaptor on it; I pulled it off and inserted the thin rectangular end into a matching port. BUT... when I tried to click on my desktop icons, the little white box still came up. I also can't copy and paste, still. Or open my gmails.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Wait-- suddenly everything's working! The icons are opening up when clicked on,
the gmail appears to open, and the copy paste appears to work. HOWEVER... I am still getting a weird http line on my browser. It ends in gurkovy. any ideas?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
here's the weird url that comes up when I click on my gmail:

http://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&view=bsp&ver=1qygpcgurkovy
Expert:  David L replied 5 years ago.

Ok good.

Now when I click on that link I get a web page that looks like the attached image...

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
That appears to be the sign-in page, right? But that's not what I get. When I click on the gmail icon on my desktop, it should go directly to my inbox. Or at the very least, to the page you got. But instead, i just get a big blank page that shows nothing except the top browser bars and that weird link.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Did you get my response about this? That it's not what I get? THanks--
Expert:  David L replied 5 years ago.

Now follow the instructions above to delete the Internet Explorer cache.

If that does not work try resetting Internet Explorer by clicking Tools, Internet Options, Advanced tab then Reset.

Please note !!! - If you Reset Internet Explorer all your configuration options will be set back to the factory defaults and you will have to manually configure them again.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What instructions above? Not sure which message contains the steps you want me to follow to delete the I.E. cache. I hesitate to reset as I am not computer savvy enough to manually configure anything. But I will try your first idea if you'll tell me what to do.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I finally called my son who told me how to delete Internet Expl. cache. Now what?
Expert:  David L replied 5 years ago.
Ok, now shutdown Internet Explorer and then start it up again and try to connect to your email.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Seems to be working. Also, my son told me to download and install Firefox and go through that intstead of I. E., which has also helped.