Molinari
Molinari, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Certified IT Guru since C-64 and Amiga, expert at grey areas....
16561526

Why does my computer beep twice when i turn it on then when

Customer Question

Why does my computer beep twice when i turn it on then when it gets to the windows xp screen it crashes virtualy every time
Category: Computer
Expert:  Molinari replied 7 years ago.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

What is the make and model of the computer?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My computer is an acer aspire 5100
Expert:  Molinari replied 7 years ago.
2 short beeps?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Molinari replied 7 years ago.

That sounds like a memory error problem.

Open it up:

Both memory modules, wireless card, cooling and and hard drive can be accessed from the bottom. Remove four screws marked with red circles and loosen two screws marked with green circles. Remove both covers.

You can search for Acer Aspire 5100 spare parts here.

Remove covers

And see if the memory is loose, take it out and put it back in.

If it still beeps, take them both out and insert just one, if it still beeps, take out the one and put in just the other one.....

Let me know what happens....

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i opened it up and i am very confused could u show me a picture or a video of what to do
Expert:  Molinari replied 7 years ago.

Removing laptop memory:
1. Carefully spread latches on both sides of the memory module until it pops up at a 30 degree angle.
2. Pull the memory module by the edges. They are on the left in the picture.

Memory Fan Wi-Fi card

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
my computer only has one memory thing i have took it out now what do i do
Expert:  Molinari replied 7 years ago.
It won't boot without any memory, put it back in and see if it boots, maybe it was just loose....
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
it sometimes boots and sometimes it doesnt it has been happening for a while now
Expert:  Molinari replied 7 years ago.

It really sounds like it's loose, try it in the other slot....

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i have put it in the othe slot but it still beeps twice and it crashes when it gets to the windows screen but since the back has been off i have realised that when it crashes the fan stops running
Expert:  Molinari replied 7 years ago.

Does it look dirty or dusty at all?

Is that the only time it stops, after the crash?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
it does look quite dusty but i dont know if it stops any other time this is the first time i have had the back off
Expert:  Molinari replied 7 years ago.

Stopping afteer a crash could be normal, you can try to clean it without taking it off, but if you take it off you will need thermal paste to replace it.

You may have a bad memory module, you can go here:

http://stores.channeladvisor.com/Arch-Memory-Electronics/items/item.aspx?itemid=2554534

and get a new one fairly cheap.....

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
does that mean i will lose all my files and all my saved stuff or is there a way to save it
Expert:  Molinari replied 7 years ago.
No, you won't lose anything, that's only if you replace the hard drive!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
well before i try to get a new one is there any thing else we can do and how much would a new memory thing cost
Expert:  Molinari replied 7 years ago.

The one on this page:

Is only 29.99....

There is really nothing else you can try, the 2 beeps are a memory parity error......

If removing and putting it back in to make sure it isn't loose doesn't work, it mens the memory is most likely defective.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
oh well you havent helped much because i have already been told to do that but i thought you might be able to help
Expert:  Molinari replied 7 years ago.

That is what the problem is, you now know how to replace it, and what to look for when buying a new one...

You can always ask again, but you will get the same answer.....