magtech
magtech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  20+ years supporting Businesses and residential IT needs.

Why is my screen jumping up and down

No matter what I am doing on Internet, my screen jumps up and down which is annoying and hard to open emails.
Category: Computer
Expert:  magtech replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thanks for your question.

Please answer a few question for us:

1. Is it only doing this when you are on the Internet, or all the time, like even when just looking the Windows desktop or when editing a document?
  2. By jumping do you mean randomly, or does it appear to be scrolling up and down?
  3. What make/model of Pc are you using?
  4. Make/model of display monitor?
  5. Type of keyboard/mouse? Wired/wireless? Scroll mouse/non-scroll?
  6. Version of Windows?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
When I am on internet checking my emails. Scrolls up and down constantly.

I have a Dell PC and Monitor, keyboard, as well as printer.

This has been going on for about three days now.
Expert:  magtech replied 5 years ago.
OK.

While it's doing this, make note of the following -
  • Do you notice a small black circle with a dot in the center and an up arrow on top and a down arrow on bottom of the circle?
  • Does the screen scroll up automatically if you move the mouse in an upward direction?
  • Does it scroll down as soon as you move the mouse in a downward direction?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I find I have little or no control when the screen scrolls up and down. I have not noticed a dark circle with a dot or arrows in it.
Expert:  magtech replied 5 years ago.
OK

It sounds like one of two things:

• Most mice with scroll wheels, will put whatever screen you are working on into "automatic scroll mode if you click the scroll wheel.
  • So while its happening, click the scroll wheel on your mouse.
  • Does that stop it?

If not, then I suspect that it may be a problem with your video monitor or card or cable.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What is interesting, it not scrolling so bad right now. This reply block has moved up and down two or three times while typing this. I recently had new cable installed from Comcast as the old cable was malfunctioning.
Expert:  magtech replied 5 years ago.
I don't think it's related to the cable replacement.
It's most likely something related to the mouse, keyboard, the video or possibly the browser.

Did you try clicking the scroll wheel on the mouse?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The wheel scrolls fine. Right now this reply block has moved up and down three times.
Expert:  magtech replied 5 years ago.
I would like you to click the scroll wheel. Then let me know if the screen stops scrolling up and down.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This box is currently jumping up and down several times. The wheel seems to function properly.
Expert:  magtech replied 5 years ago.
OK thanks.

I still suspect a problem with either the mouse or keyboard.
Do you have a spare mouse and keyboard to try?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, but I do know my mouse freezes up every now and then. I have been thinking of a new cordless mouse anyway, perhaps now is the time. Thanks.
Expert:  magtech replied 5 years ago.
Yup...that would be my guess....

Good luck, hope this was helpful.
magtech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: 20+ years supporting Businesses and residential IT needs.