Hernan
Hernan, Electromechanical Engineer
Experience:  PC tech support, ASP.NET, VB.NET and C# Developer - Speak English and Spanish
3110988

Canon i860 printer will not print black with new cartridge

Customer Question

Canon i860 printer will not print black with new cartridge or existing cartridge... Status software shows plenty of ink... Nozzle check prints colors and black... Printer prints pages from internet, MS word and word pad.... BUT without black output... the existing cartridge had only been used a few days, but I put in a new one just in case.... WHAT'S THE PROBLEM?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Hernan replied 7 years ago.

Canon support says:

Issue: Black ink does not print

Solution: Perform deep print head cleaning (Windows) i860

Follow the steps below to perform a Deep Print Head Cleaning (Windows):

Note: After confirming that the cable is connected and the printer is powered on, perform the following.

1. Open the Printers folder.

• For Windows XP select 'Start', 'Control Panel', 'Printers and Other Hardware', and 'Printers and Faxes'.
    • For Windows versions other than Windows XP select 'Start', 'Settings', and 'Printers'.

2. Right-click the printer icon and select 'Properties'.

3. Click the Maintenance tab, and then click the 'Deep Cleaning' icon.

4. Select the ink tank color(s) for deep cleaning ('All Colors', 'Black', or 'Color').

5. Confirm the message, and then click the 'Execute' button.

6. The Power lamp will blink and print head deep cleaning will start. Deep cleaning completes when the Power lamp stops blinking and lights. (It will take about a minute for the Power lamp to stop blinking and light solid.)

7. Print a Nozzle Check Pattern to determine if further cleaning is necessary. You may need to perform up to three deep print head cleanings.

Hope this helps and please don't forget to hit the green accept button and leave feedback.
Hernan

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I don't consider this an expert answer... Except for the images, it just reflects what I said I had already done... I did the deep cleaning 3 times... There is no problem with the cable connection because I said - Printer prints pages from internet, MS word and word pad.... BUT without black output...

If this is all I can get, I am not willing to pay for a replay of what I told the "expert" I had already done...
Expert:  Hernan replied 7 years ago.

SorryCustomer but I need to check all simple errors , please follow these steps

Chek that ink tanks are in correct order.

Refer to the following steps to verify the ink tanks are seated correctly:

1. After confirming that the printer is powered on, open the paper output tray.
  2. Open the top cover and wait until the print head moves to the center.
  3. Check that ink tanks are properly seated.

Properly seated

graphic

4. Press down on each ink tank until a click is heard.

graphic

5. Close the top cover. And try to print!

Expert:  Hernan replied 7 years ago.

Other choice...

Check ink tank vent hole

The ink tank requires air to flow through it so ink can move from the reservoir to the print heads.

1. Confirm there is no orange tape across the top of the ink tank

2. If the orange tape is as shown in Figure (A), it is properly removed.

3. If the orange tape is as shown in Figure (B), remove the remaining tape to the level shown in Figure (A).

4. Make sure each ink tank is snapped into the printer.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hernan...These are Printer Service 101 answers... I have been doing this stuff for more than 20 years...

I know all about seating cartridges and removing tape from the vent holes...

I am not sure you know as much as I do about computers and printers...

I only came to your site because I had exhausted everything I knew...

WHY DO THE OTHER COLORS PRINT, AND BLACK DOES NOT?

THAT IS THE QUESTION I NEED ANSWERED...

HAVE YOU NOTICED WHAT I HAVE SAID ABOUT PRINTING FROM OHER APPS AND THE Nozzle check prints colors and black...
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It has been more than an hour since I last replied... Has anyone picked up this job?