Molinari
Molinari, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Certified IT Guru since C-64 and Amiga, expert at grey areas....
16561526

How to install operating system in IBM ThinkPad X31.

Category: Computer
Expert:  Arin replied 5 years ago.
hello Richard,

are you trying to install XP or Vista on your harddisk?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

HI,

Installing Windows XP.

Expert:  Arin replied 5 years ago.
do you have an original XP CD? (bootable) ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, I have a bootable XP CD.
Expert:  Arin replied 5 years ago.
hello Richard,

can you try this:
http://tinyurl.com/cpozlv
Expert:  Arin replied 5 years ago.
please ignore my previous message.

please right click on this file:
http://tinyurl.com/cpozlv

download, and save it on your desktop. (right click, and save target as)
it is the "image" file of the fdisk utility.

once you get it, please let me know.
after that, we will burn it to a CD, and boot your pc from this CD (it contains FDISK)

when you save it on your desktop, please let me know, so I will show you how to burn it on a cd.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The computer has no cd or dvd player or floppy player.

I have an external cd player, but as said in original message, it won't boot from this device.

Expert:  Arin replied 5 years ago.
ok,

can you remove your harddisk, and put it into another computer as a secondary harddisk?

if you can do this, let me know. we will format and partition your harddisk.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No, I don't have a laptop that will accept 2 hard drives.

I have already formatted and partitioned the hard drive, using another laptop.

I then put the formatted and partitioned hard drive in the IBM X31, turn the laptop on, and it boots to the C: prompt.

Is there any way to install a driver for my external cd rom player from the C: prompt?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I need to repeat for clarity about the info I need:

The IBM THINKPAD X31 that I purchased and am trying to install an operating system, HAD NO HARD DRIVE (therefore, no operating system) when I bought it.

THE COMPUTER HAS NO FLOPPY DRIVE, CD, OR DVD. IT WAS MANFACTURED WITHOUT THESE DEVICES.

THERE ARE 2 USB PORTS, HOWEVER THE COMPUTER WILL NOT RECOGNIZE MY EXTERNAL CD DEVICE, PROBABLY BECAUSE THERE IS NO DRIVER INSTALLED FOR IT?

HOW IS AN OPERATING SYSTEM INSTALLED WHEN THERE ARE NO DEVICES IN THE COMPUTER TO PUT A FLOPPY DISC OR A CD DISK INTO TO INSTALL AN OPERATING SYSTEM?

CAN A DRIVER FOR MY EXTERNAL CD BE INSTALLED FROM THE C: PROMPT?

Expert:  Molinari replied 5 years ago.

Try this:

When booting the IBM ThinkPad X31 with the USB storage device, the system will not boot from the USB media. We must change some settings in the BIOS first.

Restart the system and press the blue 'Access IBM' button.

A dialog shows up for about 10 seconds.

Press the F1 button to access the BIOS utility.

You have to check/change two settings:

• Goto Config -> USB -> USB BIOS Support. This setting should be enabled. Go back.
  • Goto Startup -> Boot -> Hard Drive. Press enter and move your USB stick to the top by pressing the F6 button. Go back.
  • Goto Restart -> Exit Saving Changes.

See if that let's you boot from he external CD drive....

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

DOESN'T WORK.

I HAD TRIED THIS BEFORE, TRIED IT AGAIN AND NO GO.

IF I COULD JUST GET THE DRIVER FOR THE CD IN, EVERYTHING WOULD WORK OUT.

CAN THE CD DRIVER BE INSTALED FROM THE C: PROMPT?

Expert:  Molinari replied 5 years ago.
Not if it can't see the external usb device. How are you getting a C: prompt when the drive is formatted? What is listed if you type "dir" at the C: prompt?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

it will take me a while to get back to you on this.

I have to f-disk and format the hd again, as I had installed XP on it (that didn't work ) in the IBM).

Expert:  Molinari replied 5 years ago.
Ok...
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

When typing dir after the C: prompt get:

Volume in drive C has no label

Volume seriel number is...........................

Directory of C:\

COMMAND COM .....................................

1 FILE(S) ........................................

0 DIR(S) ........................................

C:\>

Expert:  Molinari replied 5 years ago.
In the interest of time, I'll opt out and let other experts take a look.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok
Expert:  Brad replied 5 years ago.
The machine takes a cd drive:
Here is the information on it:
http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/netvista_pdf/01r8023.pdf
Expert:  Molinari replied 5 years ago.
If you want to add a drive like the expert suggests, I can point you in the right direstion.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I feel that my question was not answered.
Expert:  replied 5 years ago.
You may want to try putting the drive in the other laptop, install XP on it, and then move it back to the X31, and see if the cd is seen then. You will then have to run a repair installation on XP since the hardware is different. I actually had to do this a few years back when I was in a similar situation.
Molinari, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Certified IT Guru since C-64 and Amiga, expert at grey areas....
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Sounds like it is worth a try.

Thanks for your help.

Expert:  Molinari replied 5 years ago.
Let me know how you make out...