Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

my hp pavilion laptop dv6000 wont let me get past the welcome

Customer Question

my hp pavilion laptop dv6000 wont let me get past the welcome screen. After the welcome screen I just get stuck with a blue screen. Help please
Category: Computer
Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Hello !!

Are you able to goto safe mode ?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

yes

Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Hello !!

So, does the laptop load correctly in safe mode ?

Which welcome screen are you talking about ?

What is written on the error screen

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
sorry the comp. i am on now shut down ..lol..crazy ...anyway there isn't an error message I am talking about the very first welcome screen that comes on when you first turn on your comp. before you get to menu screen
Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Hi !! no worries

so, you said that "I just get stuck with a blue screen" . what is this blue screen.

is there anything written on it. does it look like this :

graphic

OR

graphic

And, how did you enter Safe mode ? does the laptop load correctly in safe mode ?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I don't the correct safe mode but to enter safe mode my son had to shut comp totally down and then a black screen came up saying comp was shut down incorrectly or something like that then it says start up as normal or gives different safe mode options. The blue screen is totally blue no words but the cursor moves around
Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.

Please try this and let me know if this works.

This will take your computer back in time period when everything was working fine.
Steps:
1. Restart your laptop and keep pressing F8 key.
2. This will take you to Boot Option Menu
3. Select "Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)"
4. Press Enter
5. Windows should load normally.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

didn't work still stuck on blue screen

Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Hello !! But did you reach the boot menu at all ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
So just let me confirm this.

No matter what option you select from boot menu the computer goes back to the blue screen. And in no condition you are able to load windows.

Am I right
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I only selected the last known config. option in boot menu ..in safe mode it went to menu screen
Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Let me rephrase. Are you able to reach your desktop at all in either safemode or last known good config.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i can reach it in safemode not in last knwn good config
Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Thats good. So now log in safe mode and do this :

goto Start > RUN> type chkdsk /f /r and press enter. say Yes to any warnings. make sure to put space before /f and /r

Let me know how this goes.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
safe mode with command prompt?
Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
just Safe mode , if you dont get command prompt in that, then try Safemofe with command promt.

either of them are good.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

the message i got was..."the type of the file system is ntfs.

cannot lock current drve.

chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts?"

Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Good, now restart computer and windoes will do a system scan automatically.

It will take some time. Let me know if the scan begins

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

ok scan is complete and comp restarted itself and i am BACK to the infamous blue screen....do you think i have a virus or is comp locked up?

Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Hello !!

Lets try one more thing first.

Goto safe mode and command prompt and do this :
type sfc /scannow and press <Enter>.

Once done then restart computer.

Let me know how this goes

Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience: 11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

just came back 2 c:\windows\system32>

Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
I am sorry, did you get any error, if yes, can you please tell me what it is exactly
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no
Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
So you are still getting the blue screen on normal start up.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes i appreciate your help and i am willing to accept an answer so you still get paid but i think i need to take it in so someone else can look at it. I am not comp savvy and have no patience so this has nothing to do with you. I do appreciate all your help and this website is the bomb!
Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Hello !!

We have 1 more thing we can try. Do you have the Vista Installation disc with you. Or else can you get one fom your friend or anyone.

You can try to do a windows repair and your data will not be lost too.

Goto this link to see how to do repair :
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial148.html

Written instructions for same
  1. Insert the Windows Vista installation disc in the drive, and then restart the computer.
  2. When you are prompted to start from the disc, press any key.
  3. When you are prompted, configure the Language to install, Time and currency format, and Keyboard or input method options that you want, and then click Next.
  4. On the next page, click Repair your computer.
  5. Then follow on screen instructions and let windows load.

Hopefully, this should fix up the problem.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok i copied response i will try 2morrow once again thx 4 your help
Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
You are most welcome.

Just a note. If step 1 does not work then you have to do this :

Put the Windows Disk into your drive and restart your computer. Keep pressing F12 (or F10) when it starts and choose the CD drive as the boot device when asked.