magtech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  20+ years supporting Businesses and residential IT needs.
A new question is answered every 9 seconds keyboard on my desktop just wont work. The remote

This answer was rated: keyboard on my desktop just won't work. The remote mouse works fine, but I cannot type anything.....
Hello and thanks for asking your question on JustAnswer.

In general, most wireless keyboards (I assume that's what you have) and mice, each have a button on their bottom sides to initiate a connection to the PC.

So look on the bottom of the keyboard for that button and press and hold it for about 3 seconds. Then release it and see if your keyboard now works.

If not, how long has it been since you replace the batteries in the wireless keyboard? If it's been a few months, I suggest that you replace them, do the connection reset procedure that I specified above and now see if the keyboard works.

Let us know and also in the interest of any further communication on this problem please let us know the following:

Make and model of computer.
Make and model of the keyboard / mouse.
Windows version.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes...

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It is NOT a wireless keyboard (sorry if I misled you) I have an aftermarket wireless mouse. The PC is a Dell Dimension - 2350 Series. The keyboard is original to the PC....and I believe it runs Windows XP.
OK no problem.

Have you done the following:

Check that the mouse is fully plugged in on the back of the PC? I know you said you checked already, but try unplugging it and reinserting it firmly.
Are you getting any kind of keyboard errors when starting the computer?
Have you tried restarting the computer?

Please don't hit it, whatever you do !!! Smile

Let us know.....
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yep, I checked all of the wiring....shut everything down/booted everything back up. (Only kidding about hitting it - but it seems more an more like a good idea!) No error messages..... In attempting to research my problem I read something about "sticky" keys (words to that effect) resulting from multiple keystrokes to the "shift" key.....anything to that and/or is there a "fix"?

When you boot the computer, you will see an option to enter Setup mode (F2)
You have to press it pretty quickly or Windows will continue starting.
When you press F2 on the leyboard does it work at that point of the startup?

Also, can you try booting the PC into Safe-Mode? When restarting the PC on a Dell 2350, press F8 and when you get the Advanced Options Menu, select Safe Mode.

Does the keyboard allow you to select Safemode? When you get into the safe mode, does the keyboard work?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Sorry Mag..........this %#%#%% has a completely dead keyboard! Can't believe it - it worked just fine until a few hours ago. I'm sure this is as big a pain to you as it is to me. Anything else that wouldn't require the keyboard?
Well at this point it does not appear to be a Windows issue.
It is either a dead keyboard or it may be another hardware problem related to the keyboard.

I would suggest getting hold of another keyboard with the same PS-2 connector. Or, get hold of a USB keyboard. (or even both)

If none of those work, (and USB should work) then there's a bigger issue.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for your efforts..........I will exercise the last rites over the keyboard and shop tomorrow for another. Although my problem is not resolved, I will compensate you for your efforts.