Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

The sound on my Toshiba Tecra A8-EZ8512 stopped working a few

The sound on my Toshiba Tecra A8-EZ8512 stopped working a few days ago. All my sound settings are correct. I downloaded the RealTek driver again from Toshiba's website and it didn't help. Yes, my volume is turned up. There is no Windows logo sound, no AOL You've Got Mail greeting, no new hardware found sound. Nothing. Any idea what's up?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Hello !!

Did you install or remove any software recently ?

Do you have xp or vista

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, no new software. I'm on XP. It actually stopped in the middle of a session. Wasn't like I turned off the computer, later turned it back on and then didn't work. It was working one minute, and then the next it wasn't. Could it be a hardware thing? I've heard mention of a sound card, but don't know what that is.
Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Hello !!

We can try doing system restore and try go back in time :

1. Close all documents that you may have open (save them if you want).
2. Click on the Start button to open your Start Menu.
3. Now click on the All Programs menu option.
4. Click on Accessories Start Menu group.
5. Click on the System Tools Start Menu group.
6. Click on the System Restore icon.

After you click on the icon, if a User Account Control window opens you should click on the Continue button.

A window will open up and you will now be do a System Restore. From this window you can specify the restore point that you would like to restore.

Select the radio button that is labeled "Restore my computer to an earlier time". Go back 1-2 weeks when problem wasnt there and see if it gets solved.

Let me know how this goes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please ask me any question you have before leaving a Negative Feedback. I will be glad to help you solve all your problems.

Positive Feedback and BONUS is always appreciated.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Well, I tried two different dates, and each time I got a message saying the restore could not be completed for that date. One was April 9 and the other April 12. I lost sound on April 13th.

I just remembered that I hooked up my iPod Nano a couple of weeks ago, and I think there was some sort of download there. I also notice I have a Safari icon on my desktop, and I'm not quite sure how it got there.

Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Hello !!

So did you try a much older date ?
Or none of the dates are working ?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No. Didn't know I was supposed to. So I guess I'll try a date for a month ago? And then I'll let you know if it works, and then I'm going to bed, because I'm fading fast.
Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Sure, try that and goto sleep :-)

Let me know how it goes and if your problem is solved or not !!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Tried the date of March 1st and got this message, same as before: "Restoration incomplete. No changes have been made to your computer."

Thanks, Andy. This is my first time using Just Answer. So where do I go from here?

Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Hi !! Seems the restore points are corrupted.

Lets do this :
Goto Start > Control Panel > Device manager > do you see any yellow flags here ?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I can't find Device Manager under Control Panel. Did a search and came up with about 10, one with Verizon in it and the rest with Hewlett Packard (my printer). I'm going to bed now. How do I contact you again if you still want to work on this?
Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Hello !!

You just need to reply to this message to get back to me.

However tomorrow I will not be available online. So if you want I will opt out and let other experts help you on this. Let me know.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Okay. I think I'll give it another shot tomorrow. Thanks so much. Goodnight.

Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
You are most welcome. Just reply to this message tomorrow and some other expert will join you. Good nite !!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Okay, so I found my device manager, and there are no yellow flags. Now what?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Anybody out there who can help?
Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Hello !!

I am back, I am sorry you had to wait.

Anyways, lets try this :
1. In device manager double-click (to expand) on 'Sound, video and game controllers'.
2. Then right-click on your audio driver and click 'Uninstall' and make sure to check the 'Delete the driver software for this device' option as well.
3. Now, reboot the computer.

Now let me know if you can hear sound.

Then we will continue. Dont do anything else.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi, Andy! What a nice surprise!

Okay, I did what you said, but I was a little confused. There was a Legacy audio driver and a media driver and then the RealTek HD audio, but it didn't say driver. When I right-clicked the Legacy, there was no Uninstall option. So I went to the RealTek and found an Uninstall, so I did that, but I don't remember seeing anywhere to check Delete Driver Software. But afterwards, before rebooting, there was no longer a RealTek line under the Device Manager. I rebooted, and when it rebooted, I got a message with a red "X" that said EAcess Violation Realtek HD Audio Manager.

Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Hello !!

I was looking up for the latest driver. I got the driver for XP SP1/SP2, let me know if you dont have either of them

Here is the link for xp sp1/sp2, click here : LINK

A exe file will download, double click it once downloaded and install it.

Then restart computer. Then goto device manager and see if you still get that X message.

And let me know if sound is working now ?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Okay, did what you said. No more "X" message, and the RealTek is back under the Device Manager, but still no sound.

Incidentally, don't know if this would help to know at all, but when the sound was working, when I would turn up the volume, there would be an isosceles triangle filled with bright yellow representing the volume going up or down. Now when I move the volume knob, the triangle is filled with grey only.

Now, Andy, I'm feeling guilty taking up so much of your time. You don't have to keep trying if you don't want to. Thanks.

Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Hey dont worry about that !!

Let try this, do you have external speakers or headphone with you ?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I have headphones, no external speakers.

Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Alright, so connect the headphones and then restart computer and then let me know if you can hear sound from headphone.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Did it as you said. No sound.
Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Alrite, now remove the headphones.

Goto Start > Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Sound > Manage Audio Devices.

Then, verify if 'Speakers' is set as your default audio device. If not, make changes accordingly, save the settings and check if it makes any difference.

Let me know how this goes

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Couldn't find Hardware Sound under Control Panel but found Sounds & Audio Devices and changed the default from desktop speakers to laptop stereo speakers, hit Apply, Okay, moved the volume knob, still grey, rebooted, still no sound.
Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Oh so you mean that laptop speakers were not selected default ? And now you have selected them. Good

Now again uninstall the audio driver, restart computer, install the driver and again restart computer. Now see if you get voice.

Also, now make sure that the volume is not Muted by going through the Sounds & Audio Devices settings and also going through the volume setting from bottom right of your screen.

Let me know if this helps.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Well, originally it was set correctly but I guess when I tried to fiddle around with it on my own last week, I changed it. But still the grey triangle. But I'll do what you said and reply again.
Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Sure, thats a very important setting and as you know, windows can be rude sometimes Wink

Let me know what happens

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I don't know what's going on. I clicked Uninstall, and it warns me it's going to delete it from my computer, and I continue, and then the RealTek HD is not under Device Manager anymore, but when I reboot, a bubble comes up showing New Hardware Found, RealTek HD, and it's under the Device Manager again. I did this process three times, and the same thing each time.
Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Thats fine, what it is doing is, it now knows how to install the driver and so it does it automatically when you reboot. Thats normal.

Now, did you check the sound settings and all. Making sure it is not muted.

Still no sound ?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Checked everything, extra carefully. Nothing is muted, and it's on laptop stereo, and still no sound.

Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Opps ... thats bad ... do you have XP installation disc with you ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No, I don't have it. Or at least, if I do, I don't know where it is. All I could find was a Vista upgrade disc, which I never unwrapped because I'm not on Vista.

Why is that bad?

Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Well, after all we did, the audio should have come back. Let me ask you one thing, when you start computer, do you hear windows boot-up (welcome) sound ?

Can you borrow xp disc from someone ?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, I haven't heard any sound since April 13th in the middle of working on something. And I don't have a disc to borrow. How sure are you that that is the problem and not a hardware issue?
Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Well, I do suspect a hardware issue now. But until we have exhausted all our methods to repair software I would not conclude on that.

Thing is, if the speakers were bad, then your headphone should have worked. Lets try using your headphone now.

Now, if headphone also doesnt work than either the sound chip is bad or the OS system files are corrupt. Now if you can get hold of the XP Installation disc we can try to repair windows. If that doesnt solve the issue than we can conclude that its hardware issue

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Headphones don't work. Let's call it a night. I don't know how you do this all the time. It wears me out, and I'm not even doing anything.

I don't know how to compensate you for all your time and effort. What is the norm here?

Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Hello !!

Its my profession Smile

I am really sorry that we are not able to get the sound back. Now, you have two options, either get the XP disc from someone, or take professional help to verify if hardware is fine.

The norm is, if you are satisfied by my answers, you can click on green ACCEPT button in this message and I will get paid from website. Additionally you will be given an option to gift a Bonus which is not mandatory.

As you have opted for $11 initially, that is what will be deducted from your card/account when you will press ACCEPT.

Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience: 11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO