magtech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  20+ years supporting Businesses and residential IT needs.

how do i connect my acer laptop to a monitor or tv

Customer Question

Category: Computer
Expert:  magtech replied 7 years ago.
Hello and thanks for asking your question here. We will do our best to assist you.

What model of Acer laptop is it?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
aspire 5315
Expert:  magtech replied 7 years ago.
OK thanks.

To switch between the internal LCD panel and the externally connected VGA monitor do the following:

Press and hold the "Fn" key located at the bottom left of the keyboard.
While holding it, also press the "F5" key.
While holding the Fn key, each tiime you press the F5 key it will toggle you back and forth between internal display mode, external display mode and both disaply modes.

Try it and let us know. Hope this was helpful. good luck
magtech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: 20+ years supporting Businesses and residential IT needs.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

nothing happens.

Expert:  magtech replied 7 years ago.
OK well I am going to OPTOUT of this question then and let another one of our Experts have a crack at it. Good luck.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thanks for trying
Expert:  Ryan B. replied 7 years ago.

How can I connect an external monitor to my laptop?

Almost all laptops, especially those made within the last few years, have the ability to connect an external display, such as a CRT monitor, flat panel display, or Projector, and have the display sent to that device instead of to the laptop display.

Connect the monitor, flat panel, or projector to the laptop's 15-pin video connection on the back of the computer as shown to the right. Once connected, your laptop may automatically switch to the new external display or you may be required to press a sequence of keys in order to switch from the laptop to the external display.

For example, often either Fn + F3, Fn + F5, Fn + F8, or Fn + F9 is pressed to switch between alternate displays. So if your laptop was Fn + F3, pressing and holding both Fn and F3 at the same time would switch between displays. Often, the alternate key pressed in conjunction with the Fn key will be labeled as CRT/LCD and/or have a picture of a monitor on the key or close to the key. Unfortunately, the keys pressed to switch displays is dependent on the model and manufacturer of the laptop. If none of the above key sequences work, consult your laptop documentation or consult your laptop manufacturer.

Some laptops also have the ability to have the display on both the laptop and external display and/or one or the other at a single time. Laptops with this ability can switch between these modes by continuing to press the same function keys until in the mode the user wants.

How do I disable the auto-switch feature?
How can I specify the default display as the external display?

Although not available with all computers, some computers will allow you to enable and disable the external display auto-switch feature and/or specify which display you want as the default, through the CMOS setup. Additional information about entering the CMOS setup can be found on document CH000192.

How do I change the resolution on a monitor connected to a laptop?

Unless the monitor is detected or setup in the operating system, it may not work properly or will only display at the default resolution. If you wish to change the external display's resolution, make sure the monitor is detected by the operating system.

Microsoft Windows users can verify the monitor is detected by looking in the Windows Device Manager and making sure a monitor is listed.

Linux users running X Windows or a variant may need to modify their XF86Config file and add the display settings for the external monitor or projector.