Anthony Brewster
Anthony Brewster, Consultant

I have a Dell Dimension 2400 series computer. A black screen

I have a Dell Dimension 2400 series computer. A black screen that mentions that my computer may have not started because of a recent software or hardware change. I have followed all instructions on this page and the blue page that appears also. I cannot reboot my computer can someone help?
Hello. Have you tried Safemode with Command Prompt? If not, please try that and let me know if you get the command prompt to pull up, if we can, i will give you the commands to run system restore to try that. Thanks...
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, I have tried with command prompt and a blue screen comes up saying that win dows has shut down to prevent damage to my computer. It says make sure that any new software or hardware is installed properly, but I have not installed anything. It says disable Bios memory options such as caching or shadowing and I do not know how!
On the blue screen, under the Tech Notes, can you write down what it says there and normally its something like this for example...

STOP: 0x00000000000A and so much info there....
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Stop: 0x00000ED (0x81B2F030, 0xc000009c,0x0000000,0x0000000) The c in this info is more like a symbol that I do not know!
Thanks. Here is a solution that i hope helps you. You need your XP CD to repair your system.

In order to boot to the Windows XP Recovery Console:
1. Boot with your Windows XP installation CD and choose the "Repair
(Recovery Console)" option from the first menu. If you don't have a
Windows XP Installation CD (e.g. you have OEM "System Recovery" disks
or partion; or none at all then there are other options.

2. If the problem computer and your working computer both have 3.5
inch diskette drives you can download a set of disk images from (6 diskettes I believe),
create the diskettes and use them to boot the problem computer to a
command prompt where you can run the command

3. If your working computer has a CD or DVD burner you can also
download Bart's PE Builder from and use
that to create a bootable Windows XP CD. Boot the problem computer
with this CD, open a Command Prompt window, and enter the command:

I got this from this site..

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I do not have the system installed, but you have been a big help! I ahve reached a screen with nthe installation CD that is the Windows XP Home Edition Setup, however, When I press R, for Recovery Console nothing is working!
This is what i would do. Dell have an awesome tech support with or without warranty. For your laptop they have diagnostics tools already installed there as well. Try to call them and ask them to check your BIOS settings, and explain to them whats going on. You might have to use your Windows XP CD that came with this system to do a repair, and if you dont have it, the Dell tech can send you one for free by FedEx.

1-800-www-dell (1-800-999-3355)