Matt, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8 Years in computers, 5 years owning computer store
15534570

I have a Lenovo ThinkCentre that came with XP Pro. I used

Customer Question

I have a Lenovo ThinkCentre that came with XP Pro. I used Uniblue tool to clean registry and it blew the machine to the point where nothing would work. I rebooted with my XP Pro DVD (used on previous machine) but when I got to entering the key the system would not accept it. Can you provide the MS XP Pro key that you used?
Category: Computer
Expert:  David L replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for contacting Just Answer.

First, have you tried running a Repair using the installation CD? If not then reboot and run through the install process as usual but choose Repair option rather than continue with full installation - this may replace the files and registry entries missing so that you can then boot the PC.

If the above is not successful, check on the PC for the product tag as it usually includes a separate tag for the Windows license included with the PC.

Next, please confirm that the key you are entering is correct (I am sure that you have tried this however just want you to confirm again as the keys are long and some of the letters are easy to mistakenly enter as other letters).

Also, do you have the CDs that came with the PC? (they may contain the recovery disks for the PC which may be a simpler solution than reinstalling the OS).

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

i first tried repair but this did not work.

I verified that what i entered was what was on the case -- is there some way to interogate the dvd for the key?

no cd's came with the pc and because nothing runs i can not get to their recovery software

do you have the key's that LENOVO would use?

please note I am using my PC at work to communicate with you and I am monitoring the XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX account thru my blackberry

Expert:  David L replied 5 years ago.
Ok, so just to clarify you have tried pressing the blue ThinkVantage button or F11 on boot up to get into the recovery partition if available?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

no i have not tried that -- the D drive is my DVD; the E drive is a SATA drive I added and the F drive is an external drive for backup -- i do not see a different partition on my hard drive

i am using my old keyboard so i guess i would use F11

Expert:  David L replied 5 years ago.
The partition would be hidden and only show up if you use Disk Manager in Windows.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i can not get into a full windows session -- everything is dead even taskmgr is dead and i can not bring up explorer -- before trying my current solution i would get to my wallpaper with icons but all icons either returned an error (normally a dll or exe was missing) or did nothing. For example Accessories, System Tools, System Restore did absolutely nothing
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am not seeing the waiting page -- i just had to login again because i was kicked out -- i am waiting on David L to reply to my prior reply
Expert:  Matt replied 5 years ago.

Hi There,

Am I correct in thinking that you have tried to re-install windows but during the installation process when it asks for a CD-Key you input the one for the laptop and it says it is incorrect?

The CD-Key you should be using on your laptop is on a sticker on the bottom. It should say something along the lines of Windowx XP Professional 1-2 CPU

Now the CD you are using the re-install Windows must be what is called an OEM Disc. This means if it's XP Pro from some other computer (Like Dell or any other manufacturer) it should work.

If you are using and Upgrade Disc (it would say on the disc) or a Retail disc (Windows purchased from a store seperate from computer) then neither of those will work.

As long as you have the XP Professional OEM disc, then the CD-key on the bottom of the laptop should work with no problem.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

OK -- I am installing because the Uniblue registry booster blew up the machine. The machine is a ThinkCentre desktop. There is no OEM disk from Lenovo -- it is a retail disk i purchased for the machine the Lenovo is replacing.

So do I have to F disk and install everything all over to include all of my applications?

Expert:  Matt replied 5 years ago.

Hi There,

As far as when you are entering the CD-Key, have you tried both the key on the bottom of the Lenovo and the CD-key that came with the retail XP Pro?

The CD key that came with the disc you are using should work. And you won't have problems installing and activating it on another machine.

If you attempt a repair install, Windows can revert back to it's original version leaving drivers, applications and documents intact. If this is unable to complete then you would have to format the drive through windows setup and install windows fresh

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
so on the desktop Lenovo's you believe there is an OS key on the bottom -- this machine came as a dual boot XP and Vista -- will that make a difference and can you confirm that Lenovo desktops have the key on the bottom?
Expert:  Matt replied 5 years ago.

Hi There,

My apologies I was thinking Lenovo = Laptop.

The lenovo Desktops should have a CD-Key on either side of the tower or on the back.

It should be a sticker about 4 inces long and 1" wide. This would possibly have both a Vista and XP CD-key.

Please let me know if you find it (or have already found it) and if you have tried this CD-Key.

Thanks :)

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The machine we are talking about is at home hung on the key screen. When I get home tonight i will try the key on the machine if it is there and if that fails it sounds like the next step is F disk and reinstall -- would that be your estimate?

I will accept after your response to this reply

Expert:  Matt replied 5 years ago.

Hi There,

Please do search for the key and try it. If this is not accepted then you would want to find a matching install disc with CD-key (like the one you mentioned you had purchased) and use that (I do believe it it worth trying a Repair install first, this would be through the windows setup, not on the first screen, but after you say Install, it will search for a previous version of windows, if it finds one you can press R and it will attempt a repair)

If you like you may accept the answer once you have made the attempt.

I have no problem with taking more time to help you find the proper solution so please do not feel pressured to accept my answer until you have made the attempt :)

Take Care!

Matt, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: 8 Years in computers, 5 years owning computer store
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for your courteous manner. Where I am hung up is at the key entry in the repair (R) option.

I will test tonight and login in the morning to let you know the status.

Happy tax day

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
do not reward david L