Santonu
Santonu, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Diploma in Hardware
13934950

Im doing a disk check of the C drive, and it freezes in the

I'm doing a disk check of the C drive, and it freezes in the middle of it at a certain point. I've been having problems with my computer running slow and freezing during 'sleep' mode as well, and not running certain games (freezes). On the disk check, it freezes at the 'step 5 out of 5 point, 46% complete, 16706919 out of 42317175 free clusters processed. I ran it twice, and it froze in the same place. I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 that I bought last October.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Santonu replied 5 years ago.

I am very sorry to inform you that the problem seems to be with the hard drive itself. However to make sure that no software is creating the problem please try the following:

Click Start-> type msconfig in the Search bar and press Enter

Click on Startup tab, click Disable All

Click Apply and Ok

Restart your computer and see if it freezes again.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
When I type misconfig in the Search bar under Start it searches everywhere, including the internet. Can you help me fix that so that I'm doing what you asked? Also, if the problem is with the hard drive, what do I need to do? Is it covered under my warranty? Do I send it in, take it somewhere?
Thanks,
Expert:  Santonu replied 5 years ago.
Are you sure you typed it as

msconfig

and not misconfig ?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX typing it wrong. Maybe I should clarify. The tuneup goes through fine- no freezing- it just doesn't fix my problem. I did what you asked, and my computer started up no problem just like it always does. It never freezes then, just the times I mentioned in my initial query- during the disk check, when I was trying to load one particular game, and when it goes to sleep it won't wake up. So the msconfig thing didn't change anything. It started up like normal. I can use my computer to word process, go on the internet, and do many things, it just freezes at strange times or sometimes seems sluggish, which is why I did the disk check to begin with and discovered that it was freezing during it.
Expert:  Santonu replied 5 years ago.
I think there are three major indications for a hard drive problem:

1 System freezes when coming out of sleep mode

2 Playing particular games (which involves huge amount of data transfer to and from hard disk drive)

3 Freezing while disk check (and at the same cluster number)

You also mentioned about sluggish performance which can also be caused due to some software. But after disabling the startup programs from msconfig, we can eliminate the software related cause.

I suggest you to take a backup of important data immediately and contact a service center.

You can try the following link for warranty information:

Link

You can also call the following number for Dell Support

Technical Support 1-800-624-9896
Customer Service 1-800-624-9897

I am sorry that I could not provide much help with this problem.

Thanks

Santonu, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Diploma in Hardware