Roles of an operating system:
1. Resource Manager (Memory management, File system management , Input Output Management, Management of peripheral devices, Processor management)
2. Provides user with graphical user interface(GUI)
3. Manages the Computer hardware
4. Provides basis for application program and acts as an intermidiary between the computer user and the computer hardware.
5. Provides security and protection
6. Provides and activates various utility services like editors,tnaslators, compilers and other applications.
Difference between an operating system and application software:
The operating system is a system software, which acts as an interface between the computer user and the machine. It helps user to manage the resources of a system and helps in performing different kind of tasks. It also provides security and protection to the computer system and the user. Basically operating system is the software that makes the computer work. provides the framework under which the applications run.There are different types of operating system like Windows, Unix, Mac OS etc.
Whereas an application software consists of programs that are just meant for performing certain kind of tasks with your computer. Various kind of application softwares include word processing programs, spread sheets, email clients, web browser, games, etc. These programs are written to run under specific kind of operating systems. A application software will only run if it is compatible with the operating system. Without the application programs,we cant do anything with the system, cant utilize the resources properly, all we can do is change settings and navigate among the folders.