Ansh P.
Ansh P., Computer Systems Analyst
Experience:  Professional computer engineer working as systems developer with top multinational company.

The size of my desktop screen is too large (too wide) for my

Customer Question

The size of my desktop screen is too large (too wide) for my monitor. It seems like I should be able to fix this on the buttons on the outer edge of my monitor but I cannot figure them out. I have tried resetting the resolution size of the screen going into display and settings but that has not worked. Can you tell me how to fix this using the external buttons on my monitor?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-Can you please tell me what the buttons on your monitor are labeled as well as what model monitor it is?
-Also for now please set the resolution in the display properties to the lowest setting for now.

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There are no labels on the buttons on my monitor. That is the problem. They appear in a box when I click on the diamond (above the two arrows) on the bottom of my monitor. I have a COMPAQ FS740. Also because my screen size is stretched too wide, it is curving out at the top and bottom. For example, the top and bottom of this website now are stretched wider than the middle of my screen.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 5 years ago.
Ok press the center of the diamond shape does a menu pop up?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes a menu does pop up. I don't know which icon button to press to reduce the size of the screen. I tried all of them but I couldn't get any of them to reduce the size of the screen.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 5 years ago.
To change the screen size there should be an option for H-Size which will change the width. Then and option for V-size which will change the height. After that in case the screen is not centered there is also H-Center and V-Center that can adjust that.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I do not know what you mean by H size and V size. There is a button that moves the screen horizontally but that does not reduce the size of the screen. There is also a button that moves it vertically but that does not reduce the size either.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 5 years ago.
OK when you press the center button and them menu pops up on the monitor can you select the different options on the menu?

Please let me know what they are.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes there are options. I found a list of what they are on computerhope.com. I cannot copy them into this e-mail.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 5 years ago.
On computerhope?

Ok well on the monitor when you go to the menu there should be an aoption such as H-size select that option and you will be able to adjust the picture width.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi, I tried that and it doesn't work. It just moves the screen tot he right or left but does not reduce the size of it.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 5 years ago.
OK the one that should move it to the left and right should be named H-center. There are two different options that start with H one is H-Center and the other is H-size. H-size allows you to change the width and H-center moves the picture left and right.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I tried using that H size button and I moved it from 0 to 100 and back to 0 but it did not do anything. If the computer screen is stretched too wide, what number should I set it on?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 5 years ago.
O is the smallest and 100 is stretched the furthest. Please right click on the desktop click on properties. Then click on the settings tab at the top. Please set the screen resolution to 800x600 then click on apply. Let me know if that helps at all.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I reset the button for horitzontal size to 0 and restarted my computer and the computer screen is still too large. Changing the resolution to 800 by 600 just makes everythign too large. So does this mean that my question will now be answered by someone else? Sorry your suggstions didn't work.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 5 years ago.
If you would like I will opt out the reason I had you lower the resolution that low was to see if you could see everything. If you are able to you may have set the resolution to wide screen since that is to big please try either 1152X864 or try 1024X768 and let me know if you can see everything.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry those settings do not change the problem. The screen is too wide, it is being stretched at the bottom and top and is curved inward in the center of the screen. Could I open up this problem to all the computer experts?
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 5 years ago.
I will opt out so that other experts can see this problem and answer if they have any ideas.
Expert:  Ansh P. replied 5 years ago.

Try these steps:

Check the connection of monitor and port to make sure it is tight, well put and no pins are bent or damaged.

Try to restart in safe mode by:

• If the computer is running, shut down Windows, and then turn off the power
  • Wait 30 seconds, and then turn the computer on.
  • Start tapping the F8 key. Ensure that the Safe mode option is selected.
  • Press Enter. The computer then begins to start in Safe mode.
  •  

Check whether the problem remains with safe more or not. If not its an adapter problem,the settings need to be changed and drivers should be updated.

If this doesnot works than your monitor needs to be repaired. What is the display card model/make? Update the drivers for your display card.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I tried it in safe mode and the problem is still there. ThHe screen is still too large. I checked the ports and they seem to be okay. What else can I do? Do you think I should call Microsoft for advice?

Expert:  Ansh P. replied 5 years ago.
    As I know Microsoft can do nothing related to this matter, so no help calling them. Which graphic card you are using? Update the drivers of your graphic card and try to adjust the screen from the graphic card panel. If this also doesn't helps one option left is, you can call a mechanic to repair your monitor because as I guess some IC's of your monitor are malfuntioning. Hope this helps.
    Customer: replied 5 years ago.

What is a graphic card? I have no idea which graphic card I am using. How do I update my graphic card?

Expert:  Ansh P. replied 5 years ago.

Run bellarc advisor from here: http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

It will build a profile of your hardware and software, paste the information from the report which contains something like "display adapter" or "graphic adapter" or somthing similar.

Or check in device manager by:

Click on Start > Run

Type devmgmt.msc and press enter

Here expand "display adapters"

The adapters will be shown.

Ansh P., Computer Systems Analyst
    Experience: Professional computer engineer working as systems developer with top multinational company.