Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

i downloaded my reboot disk for window xp after it downloaded

Customer Question

i downloaded my reboot disk for window xp after it downloaded the files i received a blue screen with windows setup in the left cornor and nothing else.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Austin Atkins replied 5 years ago.
HelloCustomer my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll do my best to assist you.

Could you please explain your situation a little more. What did you mean when you were downloading your reboot disks. If you start your computer, does it boot? If not, what error messages do you get or what does it show on screen. Do you have a windows xp installation disk?

Please answer these as best as you can and we'll go from there. Thank you.
Austin
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It doesn't start when i hit the button i get a black screen with a little line in the left corner just blinking.so i used the reboot disks I starting with the red one then it said to put in the blue disk so i did then it down loaded the files for window xp when that was done it rebooted the computer and said i could hit any key to to reboot from the c.d. but i waited because everytime i do that it goes to the blue setup screen and if i go to the start windows it does the same thing.
Ok. So you were using disks that came with the computer for a system recovery. You placed one in and it began loading files, you placed the second one in and what happened? If you go to turn on the computer now, what happens, please be as specific as possible. Thank you.

Austin
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok yes i was trying to get back windows because i lost it trying to fix the coputer with systm restore doing this the computer froze i then reboot the coputer using the on and off switch this didn't work and the proble started the i used the reboot disk that came with the computer. if i put in the red disk it will start the down load program then it asked me to put in the blue colored disk this starts the windows program that downloads the window xp files after that i go thru the steps that the disk said to do and then i got the blue screen with the widows setup on the top with nothing happening
Does the screen look like this?
http://www.raymond.cc/images/repair-windows-xp-screen1.png

Thank you.

Austin
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Austin do you want me to open the down load if so it don't work it says its forbiden
Ok. That link is just a picture, I will send the link of another picture, hopefully you can see this one.

http://www.geekstogo.com/misc/XPWelcome.gif

Does the setup your talking about look like this?

Austin
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ya i saw it but windows would have to start to use any programs at all right now the computer is just blue i am using another computer to speak to you !
Ok. So please clarify. The screen you saw in the picture I sent, that is the screen that was on your computer right?

That screen is the setup screen to install windows. If your computer was having problems before, was your intention to reinstall windows. If so, doing this will lose any files you have. When you say the computer is just blue, what do you mean. If you see that setup screen, did you follow the instructions to reinstall wnidows? Please clarify.

What did you mean when you said the computer would have to start to use any programs. Is you intention with this computer to reinstall windows XP??
Thanks.
Austin
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no it is just a blue screen the hole monitor was blue with just the widows setup on the top this screen should have the rest of the windows update on it like hit go to start and so on but its just blue.i relly can't explain it any other way just blue
Alright, so let me get the whole picture here. Something was wrong with your computer, so you used the disks to redo the computer to fix it right? But these disks will redo the computer and wipe out all your files in the process. The blue screen is the screen in which you are going to reinstall the Windwos XP operating system. As far as this screen knows, there is no windows xp on your computer, that is why it is in the install screen. The whole start menu part won't be visible because the entire operating system is not installed?

If you had two disks, the first probably wiped the hard drive clean. We are getting somewhere but could you explain why you used the disks in the first place, then I can figure out where you have gone. Thank you for your patience.
Austin
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no problem ok from the start this is what happened. the coputer wasn'tworking right so i tryed to restore it before the problem started doing this i must have gone to far back and when it stopped moving in system restore i hit the on and off button during restore this caused the computer to stop working it would start up but wouldn't go to windows it just stayed black iwth a small statup line so i trird to redo windows by using the disks that i had for the computer. the directions said to put in the red disk first so i did then it brought up the driver programs and license's and so on then it said do you except the programs and so on i said yes and it stated to run the program to delete the old files thern it said to add the blue disk i did then it down loaded the new windows files then when it was done it stoped rebooted itself and went to the blue screen with the windows setup and a line under it and nothing else.
Ok. So you are aware that any files you had on that computer are now gone? It sounds like the first disk would have been to reformat the hard drive and the second disk is a windows xp install disk. Now that you wiped the hard drive clean your ready to start over with a new operating system by first *installing* the operating system. This blue disk *is* windows XP. There basically is no computer without installing Windows xp from this disk. So when booting from this blue disk you get to the setup screen where it will say press enter to install windows and things like this. Did you then follow along with these instruction to install windows xp?

Austin
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes thats it the red disk said it would download new stat up drivers and other parts and so on and the blue disk said it would reinstall windows and after i finished doing everything that it said to do many times over before i contacted you guys i always got the same blue screen and now im ready to call it junk and start over but i can't so i'll keep on trying lol. also it is a gateway computer if that makes any difference?
Ok, on the blue disk, what does it say on the disk?

Please let me know. This may be a very solveable problem, we just have to make sure we are on the same page. I have dealt with problems of installing windows many many times. Please advise. Thank you.

Austin
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok blue is the operating system windows xp home edition the red is the drivers to reinstall programs and drivers insert this cd into the cddrivewhile running windows then click tab but the parework said to put this cd in frist.
Correct, actually, what the red cd does is what the blue cd will eventually do. Please place the blue cd in and boot from it. When you get to the screen that says windows xp setup, hit enter to begin the setup. Follow the prompts, It will show a partition to install windows on. Choose this and choose the option of Install the operating system using the NTFS file system and use the quick option. This will begin copying files and will restart when ready, when it restarts, don't press any key to boot from cd because you'll just start the process over again. Start with this and let me know how this goes. Thank you.
Austin
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i did that and it when to the blue screen it won't open the program like you said it goes to the blue screen every time
Is it the blue screen that looks like this?

Or does the whole screen literally go completely blue with nothing on it?

Please clarify.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no if i got that screen i could keep going but when i should be getting that screen or any other i get that blue screen with windows setup
You said that you "get that blue screen with windows setup"

This is confusing me as you said that you are infact getting to the install windows screen, but at the begging you mention that you are not getting to that screen.???

Austin
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

no i said i get the blue screen when it says to reboot windows from the cd hit any key

also if i just wait for the program to start itself it does the same thing it won't let me go to the part of the program to finish the down load i beleive?

I am sorry if it seems like I am asking the same thing. Restart the computer with the cd in, when it asks to press any key, press any key on the keyboard and tell me exactly what the screen says after a few minutes. Thank you for your patience.
Austin
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok it will take a few mins its in another part of the house now let me get this right you want me to put in the blue cd and hit any key when it says to do so correct?
yes! Correct.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

ok be right back?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok i did it and it said it was going to config it then it went to the blue screen with the wid=ndows setup in the left corner
Does it say press enter to setup windows xp (or something like this)?
Austin
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no nothing after i hit anykey it goes blue with the setup thing
Yes. This setup thing is what I am talking about. Can you please type everything that it says on that screen. Thank you.

Austin
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
? its the same windows screen that says windows setup and when i try to type nothing happens there is no place to type anything well this is not getting me any where there must be somthing wrong with the disk or the computer i have never had this kind of problem before if i want to reinstall windows i just put in the CD and follow the directions . well Austin im going to call it for now if you think of somthing please E:mail me ok thats
Well thats it! There is nothing to type there, you just have to hit the enter key to begin installing windows. We are getting there. Just hit enter and it will begin the installing, please try this first.

Austin
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok on the blue screen with the windows setup i hit enter and nothing happen it just stayed there saying windows setup no line no blinking nothing just sitting there widows setup
Can you verify that the keyboard you are using is infact working for all keys? If you hit enter it has to move forward unless there is a hardware problem with the keyboard which is very unlikely?

Hitting enter should move forward. Perhaps grab a spare keyboard, plug it in and restart the process.

Austin.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes it is working when i hit it the last time you wanted me to do so it did go to the blue screen and it also works when i put in the red CD to startup the delete programs
But you hit enter when it says hit enter to setup windows and nothing happens. Take the cd out of the computer and see if it has scratches on it. Try cleaning the cd and trying again. This has to work.

If your computer accepts the enter key before, it can't go bad now. Try this. And press enter again, this is very strange.

Austin
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok i'll try and clean it could it be a harddrive problem i will clean the CD and try it again do you want me to go thru the other steps of deleting the files and so on
No. Just stick with this cd for now. The install process will wipe the hard drive clean. Just get it back to the setup menu where you press enter. this must work!!

Good luck.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok austin i cleaned the CD also the CD rom i ran the red disk i deleted and reinstalled all files still when it was done it went to the blue screen with thw windows setup this isn't the windows setup that keeps the files going that says windows personal setup this is just widows setup man this is a pain
This should not be this hard. What type of computer is this?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it just says gateway
So each time you get to this screen, press enter and nothing happens?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Austin listen i have to go get ready for work im hoping its just a soft ware problem but it could be more like you said it shouldn't have taken this long . i missed you last message could you resend it to me please if its not important then i have to say again thanks and i have to go

Ok. When you are ready just return to this post and we'll go from there. I'm telling I haven't see a computer so stubborn, keep trying, when it says press enter to install windows, just press enter and it has to work. Good luck.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok thanks Austin im just hoping its not a bigger problem like parts or somthing ok well thanks again bye
Ok. Thank you.