Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

When I turn on my Toshiba Laptop. This message appears on

Customer Question

When I turn on my Toshiba Laptop. This message appears on a black screen. For Realtek RTL8101E/8102E PCE-E Ethernet Controller v1-05(071227) new line PXE-E61L: media test failure, check cable newline PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE program new line No Bootable device--insert boot disk and press any key
Category: Computer
Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Hello !!

This will sound scary, but the message PXE-E61L: media test failure and No Bootable device signifies that your hard drive has failed completely or partially (where windows boot files are loaded).

Lets try this. When you restart computer, press F8 continously and see if you can reach a boot menu. If yes, click on Last Known Good Config.

Else, when you restart you will see on the screen a function key mentioned to access setup (F12 or F10or Esc , etc) . Press that and see what options you get.

Let me know how this goes. Then we will move further.

Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience: 11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hey Andy,

I restarted the computer and got to a Boot Menu by pressing F12 it only gave me a list of different things to boot HDD, LAN etc... I figured HDD was the hard drive so I picked that one. It then came back to the screen with the Media failure message

This isnt good is it?
Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Hi !!

I dont like giving bad news, but yes, HDD is your hard drive. The series of messages you posted before indicated that the computer tried to boot from all possible souces including your ethernet card. But it failed.

Do you have a windows installation disc ?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No I don't.

It is still under warranty from where I bought it. Will they be able to fix that problem under the warranty?

Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Well, I think all brands give a 1 year warranty. Now dont tell them that the laptop fell down or any such thing. Just tell them that it stopped while you were woking on something and then never started again.

IF you hard drive is not totally dead, you will be able to see it under another computer.
If your data is too critical, then first and foremost you should try to do a back up. You need to buy a USB adapter to connect your laptop's hard drive to another computer. You can buy the adapter at amazo/ebay very cheap. You will need to remove the hard drive from computer (user manual will explain this OR google it).

In anycase I am certain that there are atleast few bad sectors on the drive and sooner or later they will multiply and ruin the complete drive. So buy a new hard drive in anycase. Seagate is a very good brand.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I don't understand why a small fall would do this. It worked right afterwards so that is hopefull right? AND I just got the computer in September. Why would there be bad sectors of my harddrive?

Anyway, thanks for your help.

Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Hi !!

To be frank, it depends. As I said, if you can get a Windows installation disc, we can try to repair windows and then check the disc too. BUT, the very sign that the boot failed makes me suspect that there are bad sectors.

Sometimes the drive works fine for years. But it depends on what position were the hard-drives reading heads were, when it fell down. If they were idle than probably no damage would had occured. Else, the heads touched the drive plates and damaged them.

In anycase, first take a back up if you can. If you drive doesnt show up on another computer than we will be sure its dead.

Feel free to ask any question you may have