David L
David L, Systems Engineer
Experience:  Microsoft & Cisco Certified with over 20 years experience
13852270

Every time I try to log onto my computer, I get a page that

Customer Question

Every time I try to log onto my computer, I get a page that says "Webpage cannot be displayed". When I hit "diagnose" , I get a box that says "connecting connectivity" then "connectivity has been restored".   I can then log on OK, but when I go to (for instance) my email and then try to X that out, I go back to desktop and have to log in again. I would really appreciate any help.
Category: Computer
Expert:  David L replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for contacting Just Answer.

First, are you using wireless to connect to the Internet?

When you mention the login above, is that to login to your account with your Internet Service Provider (ISP) or to login to your computer on boot up?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I am not using wireless.My ISP is Time Warner with high speed internet access.

I'm not sure about the answer to your second question. I think the answer is that I am trying to log into Windows XP. Does this make sense. Also - When I am on the "Webpage cannot be displayed, if I check onto "Diagnose Connection Problem" I then get "Welcome to Network Diagnostics for Windows XP. When I click "Next", it says that Windows is checking connectivity. Then I get the message " Connectivity has been successfully restored." When I go back to desktop and click Yahoo Mail. I can get my mail and seem to be able to navigate to other sites from there. But if I X it out in the upper right corner, it goes back to desktop and not my home page.

I have probably given you more than you needed to know, but that is the best way I can explain it. Thanks for your time.

Expert:  David L replied 5 years ago.

Ok, what web browser are you using? Is it Internet Explorer?

If you press the X in the upper right corner then the web browser should close which sounds like that is what it is doing.

And then when you open the web browser it sounds like the issue is that your home page is not displayed, is that correct?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am using Internet Explorer and part of the problem is that my home page is not displayed, however, the bigger problem is having to go to "Diagnose Connection" each time. I don't think I should have to do that. I did just change ISP providers from People PC to Time-Warner and I was on the phone with them for about 45 minutes and they could not fix it. They suggested that I take it to a repair shop, but I had just had it repaired before I changed providers and it is getting quite expensive.
Expert:  Anthony Brewster replied 5 years ago.
This sounds like you have a virus/spyware infection on the computer. Try to run COMBOFIX and it will take about 5 minutes to complete tops. The Microsoft Level 2 Techs use this and nothing gets past it.

1) Open Internet Explorer

2) Type http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/sUBs/ComboFix

3) Add .exe to the end on ComboFix in the url above and press enter

4) Save it to your desktop

5) Run It

When it is done, you will get a notepad with the report. If anything was deleted it will show you at the top like this.... (((((((((((((((((( other deletions )))))))))))))))))))

After that, close the notepad, restart your computer, and everything should be back to normal. Best of Luck!

Here is you a guide just in case you want to see what happens.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix

If your still having issues after this. Please do this...

1) Open IE
2) Click Tools
3) Click Internet Options
4) Click Advanced Tab
5) Click RESET at the main bottom
6) Click RESET again
7) Close IE
8) Open IE and test it out... this should fix it...

Also, microsoft now has Internet Explore 8.0 out and its better, faster, and more secure, please download this from www.microsoft.com and hope it gives you the Full Performance....

Also make sure that Automatically Detect Settings box is not checked..

1) Open IE
2) Click Tools
3) Click Internet Options
4) Click Connections TAB
5) If peoplepc is listed here, remove it
6) Click Lan Settings
7) Uncheck Auto Detect Settings
8 Apply
9) Ok
10 Close IE
11)Restart Computer
12) Test is out again

BEST OF LUCK! :)
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I think that the info you sent is very helpful.( I did have to read the guide so that I dared to try to run it), but I am not sure how to disable my AVGFREE8.5 spyware. When I o[en it, I get a page that says "You may not be protected. Some components report an error". Everything says active, except update manager, which says update now. Do I update and then try to turn it off ?

I will gladly pay the $10.00 but hope you can help me with this.

For you to be able to run combofix, all you have to do, is download it and run it. Its very safe and nothing will change on your system except getting rid of the bad things infecting it. The AVG should be updated always and should always remain turned on....

BEST OF LUCK! :)

I'm here for ya!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have tried everything that you suggested....ComboFix - Reset and uncheck Auto Detect Settings. I received a whole bunch of pages from the notepad. I still can only log on by going to diagnose connection each time and usually I also get a message that the program is not responding. Do you think I should just take it to a repair shop (or maybe throw the computer out the window !!). I am really getting stressed out from all this. :)
I understand and im sorry. If you want the easiest way out, then backup all your important data and wipe it out, reformat/reinstall Windows XP on your computer. Thats the fastest solution. Its even possible that some things got corrupted in the registry that could be causing these issues.

BEST OF LUCK!
Expert:  David L replied 5 years ago.

Hello -

Just to clarify, you are using DSL to access the Internet not dialup correct?

Also, what is the make and model of your PC?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

On April 1, I changed from PeoplePc (dial up) to Time Warner (DSL) and I have had this problem ever since. Just once after the change was I able to log on with no problems. My computer is a Cisnet, Model # XXXXX . Serial # XXXXX The tower serial is 20204826 0050.

I don't know how to do backup or to reinstall Windows. I'm sorry to be such a pain.

Expert:  David L replied 5 years ago.

No trouble at all - that is why we are here. Now then, go to the link below:

http://www.ztsystems.com/Default.aspx?tabid=866

and then sign in or sign up and then sign in, then enter your serial number, and that will redirect you to a site where you can download new drivers. Download and install the latest driver for your network interface for your PC, then reboot.

Let me know if you need assistance with the installation.

Also, is your PC plugged into a broadband router or directly into the DSL modem?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I think I do need help as there are several downloads, AVG Driver, Audio Driver, etc. Do I download them all? I am not plugged into a broadband, it is DSL.
Expert:  David L replied 5 years ago.

Hello -

No you do not need to download all the drivers, just the network driver. If you are unsure of which one just give me names and I will let you know which one.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The names areXXXXX , Audio Driver. Chipset Driver, Lan Driver , Sis Video Driver, Video Driver. I am guessing that it is the Lan Driver, but do not dare take the chance that it is the one.
Expert:  David L replied 5 years ago.
It is the LAN driver. Go ahead and download that one and then doubleclick on the file you download and let me know if you have any questions as you go through the installation.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm sorry that I have to ask you another question, but in Lan, it shows 3 folders - Utility, Win2K-XP and Win98-ME. I don't know which folder to open.
Expert:  David L replied 5 years ago.
No problem....go to the Win2K-XP folder and then download the driver.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
When I click on that folder, i get 4 folders - NetrtOEM, NetrtOEM, Rtnic, RtnicXP. I don't know where to go from here.
Expert:  David L replied 5 years ago.
Ok, then download both the RtnicXP and the NetrtOEM. Then click on Start, and right click My Computer and click Device Manager and then in the Device tree find your network interface and usually the name of the network interface includes the name of the manufacturer. Let me know the name of the network interface and I should be able to determine which driver you need to install.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I found device manager. I was unable to findnetwork interface. I did find network adapters and don't know if this is the same as network interface. In looking around on thecomputer, I found a place that said I have USB2.0 driver. Is this what I am looking for? Also when I hit download after the Lan, it goes so fast that I can't tell if it downloaded or not. The screen goes away and then a screen appears that says X_Lan_drivers {1} and in the reply part is an icon that says Realtek_Lan_MV41003. When I click on this, the 2 folders show up (Utility, etc.) I then click on Win 2K-XPand the 4 files show upNetrtOEM and RtricXP. There is no sign to download these and when I click on them it says "You are attempting to open a file of type' system file' sis.I click on to open with , it asks if I want the web service to find the appropriate program. I click OK and it says "File Type: System Device Driver File Ext. system. Where do I go from here?
Expert:  David L replied 5 years ago.
Yes, network adapters would be the same as network interface - are there network adapter devices listed under the network adapters heading?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The only one listed is : sis 900-based PCI fast ethernet adapter. Is this what I am looking for?

Expert:  David L replied 5 years ago.
Yes, go ahead and download that driver.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm sorry, I even googled how to download that driver, but it seems to be very confusing as there are so many different ways. I have to ask you if there is a simple way of downloading this. Please understand that I am very embarrassed to be so dumb about all this.
Expert:  David L replied 5 years ago.
Hello - I did some investigation and think I understand now what is happening. You have already downloaded the driver to your PC and just need to install.

First uninstall the old driver. Go to Start => All Programs => MSI => LAN Utility => Uninstall and that should uninstall the old driver. If you cannot find it there then click Start then Control Panel then Add or Remove Programs and search for the Realtek LAN or MSI LAN entry and then click Remove (please let me know if you need help with these instructions).

Once the old driver is uninstalled reboot the PC then go to the file you have downloaded which is located in the Realtek_LAN_MV41003 directory (rather than the Win2k-XP directory you were in earlier).

Next open the Utility directory, and then double click on the LANUtility.exe file to install the new driver. Follow the prompts in the program that opens to install the driver.
David L, Systems Engineer
Experience: Microsoft & Cisco Certified with over 20 years experience