Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO

my emachine has quit working...When i turn it on the screen

Customer Question

my emachine has quit working...When i turn it on the screen reads no signal and goes black. we have cleaned inside, replaced a battery and have inserted recovery discs. all to no avail. When we first restarted it after cleaning and replacing the battery it booted up and windows started..Nothing else happened. we were not able to access the programs. Now, the next day.........nothing. I frustrated...Can you help.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Hello !!

What is make and model of computer. (laptop/desktop)
Do you use vista / xp

Did this problem happened recently after you installed/removed some hardware/software

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

desktop.

was working okay then when it was turned on one day the "NO SIGNAL" test pattern came on.

Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Hello !!

When you press the power button to turn it on, do you see any thing on screen, like the Emachine boot up screen or something like that. Or is it completely blank (black color) always.

Can you see a faint image of your desktop (try to see it in dark place with flash light). This is important to confirm.

Also, when you press power button, do you see the LED lights on desktop blinking or solid green (which ones are in blinking/solid) and do hear any sound ? Or do you feel that your desktop doesnt even try to boot.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

When I push the power button on the tower that screen comes on with a "test Patter" of different colors then goes away and there is nothing but a black screen.

yesterday the boot up process came up and the windows xp screen appeared with all the program icons but we were not able to access any of them.

today there is not even a booting up process.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
are u waiting on me?
Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Hello !!

Sorry for the delay.

Please do the following carefully:
1. Unplug your computer
2. Wait 2-3 minutes
3. Now press ON (power button) for 1 minute
4. Then release the finger and wait one more minute.
5. Now plug in the power cable and press ON button.
7. Did your screen start working now ? (do you see windows loading)

Let me know how it goes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please ask me any question you have before leaving a Negative Feedback. I will be glad to help you solve all your problems.

Positive Feedback and BONUS is always appreciated.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did exactly as your instruction read. Nothing.. Same "No Signal" red green and blue test pattern on the screen and then black. I saw no imprint. Could i have a bad cable?
Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Hello !!

Can you tell me what is written on the blue screen.

Does it look like this :
http://jmobley123.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/blue-screen-of-death1.jpg

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no. the screen looks like this: a red block with an R in it, a green block with a letter in it (don;t remember which one) and a blue block with a letter in it. They are attached to each other at the sides and are in the middle of a black screen. There is no words on them. Just a letter in each block. The words No Signal is across the top of the blocks.
Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Hi

You said that you get "blue test pattern on the screen and then black"

I am talking about that pattern. What is the pattern.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
please read the reply that starts with "no". That explains the screen as completely as I can. It is not a blue screen..the screen is black with red green and blue blocks in the middle of it (the screen).
Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Yes I read that and I thought you also get some 'blue pattern'. But now I understand that you do not get anything at all exept the R G B on display.

Now can you please confirm one more thing. When you press the power button. Do the LED on the CPU cabinet blink (or blink and then stop or dont blink at all). Do you hear any fan sound or BEEP sound when you press the power button.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

the power button comes on blue. the fan runs. I turn the screen on and the R G B comes up for about 2 seconds and then the screen goes black.

Yesterday we did get the windows icons up on the screen but could not access anything.

Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Hi !!

After the screen goes off. Do the fan still go on running in the CPU cabinet. And please mentione me about the LED bulbs (lights) on the CPU cabinet (their status before and after screen goes blank)

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes the fan stays on until I turn off the computer.I' going to check on the lights be back shortly.
Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
alright. I will be waiting !!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Okay. I turn on the computer and the light that shows that the computer is "doing something" blinks on once then goes off. It stays off..the fan keeps running and the "on Button" stays lit.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have to leave and will be gone the rest of the afternoon. I will get back with you tomorrow. I am in Florida and my time here now is 1:34 PM EDT. I am not getting any results so far and I hope the last reply was helpful. I will continue to work with you and if successful I will give you a bonus..thanks for your help. I am trying to be patient.
Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Hello !!

If you have 15 more minutes, we can finish this today.

Else, please reply to me tomorrow and we will continue.

Let me know

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Andy,

It is now 11:35 PM and just got home. Will get in touch 4/04/09 AM. Thanks.

Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
We are on same time zone !! ... just reply to this message when you come online .. I will be online from 9am to 3pm tomorrow ..

Have a good nite !!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Nite...
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

good morning andy,

now back to my problem.

Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Hello !!

I looked into this yesterday night. Now there are few possibilities. Yesterday, we drained all charge from your motherboard. But it still didnt work. Now it seems that your display is not receiving any signals from the motherboard. This can be because of many reasons.

Now you can check 2 things :
1. Bios battery. It is a button type battery located inside your laptop.
2. Try re-inserting the RAM (memory modules)

If this doesnt work, than your motherboard or the cable connecting the motherboard and display is damaged. You need to get it repaired or replaced. I would suggest you to take quotes from few places because sometimes replacement is cheaper than repair.

If they suggest you to replace it. Then you can buy it Online and replace it on your own if you know this stuff. Else take professional help.

Feel free to ask any question or concern you may have. I will be glad to help you.