Molinari
Molinari, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Certified IT Guru since C-64 and Amiga, expert at grey areas....
16561526

I want my screen display to stay on longer before it goes bl

Customer Question

I want my screen display to stay on longer before it goes black, what do I do to make it do this?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Molinari replied 7 years ago.

There are three levels of preset power management in Vista ... Balanced, Power Saver and High Performance ... You can find further reading in this Microsoft Article. I personally recommend that you actually customise the settings other than relying on any of the presets. None of them is exactly perfect for most systems.

To customise these settings to your own needs, follow these steps.

Open power options by simply typing Power Options in the search bar from the start button. Or, go the long way and, click the Start button / Control Panel / Hardware & Sound / Power Options. ;-)

Click the "Create a power plan" in the left pane.

Press Next to continue ...

I do NOT recommend enabling the "Put the computer to sleep" function.

Now press the Create button ...

As you can see, we now have our new power plan ready to further tweak. Now simply click "Change plan settings" to get to the more detailed settings

The setting you want is display....

Let me know if this works for you !!!!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Got to go now, will reply later.
Duke
Expert:  Molinari replied 7 years ago.
Ok !!! It should work, you can set the monitor to go off at 10, 20 or 30 minutes, or never.....
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
tOk !!! It should work, you can set the monitor to go off at 10, 20 or 30 minutes, or never.....

this answer wasn't any help, it didn't tell me what "it" was that should work, or how to get there, & what to do after I got wherever "there" is.
I can't accept this.
Duke
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I can't accept your answer. I know as much now, as I did before I asked you.
Sorry,
Duke
Expert:  Molinari replied 7 years ago.

What is happening is the power settings are shutting off the monitor at a time you set.

You may also want to check your screen saver settings, that would do it as well....

Just right click on your screen, (not a window), and choose personalize, and choose screen saver, and see what that is set up as.

graphic

See if that works for you as I'm sure it's one of those settings.

You might try setting to power settings to not turn off the monitor at all.

You may also need specific monitor drivers as well if the power settings have no effect.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
unable to locate any of your suggested sites. I'm where I was when I sought your help. As I said previously, "I'm sorry, thank you for your time & trouble." Forget my ever contacting you. I'll live w/what I have.
Duke