B. Rath
B. Rath, IT Professional
Experience:  Certified support for tech-related issues, including computers, email and software.

My computer hangs up frequently and when I hit Ctrl. Alt. Del.

Customer Question

My computer hangs up frequently and when I hit Ctrl. Alt. Del. I keep seeing the box with "Compac Owner O Active"..When it disappears the computer is free to function.
Category: Computer
Expert:  B. Rath replied 5 years ago.

Could you specify the operating system you are using? Also, since when has this issue been occurring?

Regards
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I am not sure what you mean by "operating system"..Have Windows XP..Booted by Bright House System which I think is Cable (it was really fast and they tell me that our computer is still getting their full speed)..Internet Explorer..Aol..

The Compac Owner 0 Owner started showing up about two weeks ago..at first it was combined with an Aol Startup Message...but now is solo...Have been having slow and hangups for about a month now.

Expert:  B. Rath replied 5 years ago.
Okay ..now, please go to Start > Run, and type in msconfig; in the 'System Configuration Utility' window that comes up, click on the 'Startup' tab, then click on 'Disable All' ..apply the settings thereafter, restart and check if the issue still persists now.

Let me know how you get on.

Regards
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Please be more detail in your answer..I was asked questions that I didn't understand..and was even told to turn off the computer a second time....please remember that I am a novice..I did manage to get back to aol without turning off the computer the second time but it was still slow..one question referred to "systems management"..
Expert:  B. Rath replied 5 years ago.
Sorry about the misinterpretation ..now, could you clarify which part in my earlier post did you have difficulties in carrying out, as follows:

I will be glad to follow up further.

Regards
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
let me go through the process again and I write everything down..Be back with you shortly..Richard
Expert:  B. Rath replied 5 years ago.
Sure ..take your time and keep me posted.

Regards
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
system configuration message came up after hitting "disable all" under "startup" saying.."an access denied error was returned while attempting to change a service. you may need to log on using an administrater account to make the specified change"..I hit ok and then it would not let me clickj on "disable all". I stopped there this time..
Expert:  B. Rath replied 5 years ago.
Okay ..as an alternative, please download the following freeware utility:
http://www.ccleaner.com/download/downloading
Done that, run the same and click on the 'Run Cleaner' button in the window that comes up in order to do a comprehensive cleanup of useless data in your system.
Next, click on the 'Registry' tab present in the left pane, then scan for and fix issues found in your registry, which may be slowing down your system.
Now, click on the 'Tools' tab present in the left pane, then under the 'Uninstall' tab, look for and highlight programs present which you don't need ..and click on the 'Run Uninstaller' button to uninstall the same.
Under the 'Startup' tab, look for and delete the program entries scheduled to run when you start up your computer, which you don't need, or know of.

Restart thereafter and let me know how you get on, now.

Regards
B. Rath, IT Professional
Experience: Certified support for tech-related issues, including computers, email and software.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Guess I am a real dummy....installed the cleaner or at least it states I did..How do I get it to run so I can proceed with the next steps?..where are the registry and tool tabs?..and how do I determine what programs I don't need...if I ever get that far?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Just saw the "Compac Owner 0 Active" message when computer hung up. I need to go. Have doctor's appt. Can we continue this at another time. Sorry I have been such a problem. Richard
Expert:  B. Rath replied 5 years ago.
No worries ...I was away for a few hours as well, so let's take it further from here ...now, is there a 'CCleaner' icon your desktop?

Regards
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi..I am back finally. Followed these steps: 1. Found CCleaner icon and Ran Cleaner..Clicked on Registry and let it do its thing..Clicked on TOOLS and have not uninstalled anY programs because I really don't recognize any of them..My daughter and wife have promised to go over them with me. I did note that many of the programs did not give option to uninstall so figure I should leave them alone...Am I correct. I would like clarification on that subject. ..Clicked on STARTUP and note that only two programs are showing..Yes-HKCU:RUN and HKLM:RUN....These two were the only two in Black and rest were barely seen. I knew sometime ago a friend had put AOL not to run at startup...Are the two above the only ones needed or should they be removed?

I am going ahead and hitting ACCEPT even though I just saw the "Campac Owner O Active" page just come up as my Aol was frozen as I tried to get on. I have not been on the computer except for this issue so don't really know if there is a difference. My wife did notice the Hard Drive was roaring from time to time even when no one was on line so that may be an issue. It has been quiet since I have been on line..

I will appreciate answers to questions above and any other suggestions..Thank you..Richard ..

Expert:  B. Rath replied 5 years ago.
Okay ..before following up further, could you specify the entries mentioned under the 'File' field in the two programs highlighted in black, as you mentioned?

Regards