Scott L
Scott L, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  20+ years experience with PC hardware and software. Currently own and operate PC Service.
15046804

my aol is running so slow, however, my internet explorer is

Customer Question

my aol is running so slow, however, my internet explorer is running perfectly fine. I purchased this computer 2 weeks ago so I can't imagine what the problem is.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Scott L replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for coming to Just Answer for your support question.

Could you please elaborate a bit on your issue. Is AOL your internet provider? If Internet Explorer is working fine in which way are things running slow?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I use aol most often. I have my email address there and I do most of my searching and I save things on aol. I do pay for the service. I find it easy to use and have been using it I think forever. I also have internet explorer and the reason I have it is because there are some applications that do not work on aol. When I am use it now, it runs perfectly fine; it goes page to page within a normal amount of time whereas aol takes minutes when I search for something. There is definately something wrong with aol.
Expert:  Scott L replied 7 years ago.
First do a search of your computer for ASCuninstall

run this file when you find it

reboot your computer

see if AOL browser runs any better

If you are still having the issue let me know and we will continue troubleshooting.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I certainly hope that this does not screw up my computer.....
Expert:  Scott L replied 7 years ago.
the file is an AOL clean up file. There is nothing I will ask you to do that will "screw up" your computer. Anything that would be technical beyond a normal users ability I would let you know.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ok, then, I will do what you said, I did not mean anything nasty by saying screw up, however I have had my share of computer horror stories
Expert:  Scott L replied 7 years ago.
I understand :-)
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
my computer does not have that file ASCuninstall
Expert:  Scott L replied 7 years ago.
I apologize I had a misspelling there.......... it should have been ACSuninstall a search for that should find something.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
will try again
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Sorry, but that is not on my computer as well
Expert:  Scott L replied 7 years ago.
The file should be located here:

C:\Program Files\common files\aol\acs\
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I will try that now
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
This file does not exist on my computer
Expert:  Scott L replied 7 years ago.
If you still are unable to find the file or running it makes no improvement I would recommend a clean uninstall of AOL and reinstalling it.

If you have AOL 9 use this file. Choose Free User and click Download to get the file.

If you have AOL 10 use this file. Choose Free User and click Download to get the file.

Once you have downloaded the file run it and it will perform a clean uninstall of the AOL software. Reboot your computer when it has completed the process. After the computer restarts reinstall AOL.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I really do not want to do that...like I said earlier, I purchased this computer less than 2 weeks ago, had someone from the geek squad install everything and everything was running just fine until yesterday. Maybe there were too many people online at one time or I don't know. I just don't understand why it was working so well and then why it has been slower than can be. I don't know what to do, but I don't want to uninstall and reinstall. I have many things that I need to do and I need this computer desperately. I am stuck.
Expert:  Scott L replied 7 years ago.
It is actually common for the AOL software to behave this way. It is also known to have issues with running slow in windows Vista. uninstalling the AOL software and reinstalling it is not a difficult process. Unfortunately there is not much more I could recommend to fix the issue you are having. You could try contacting AOL for support but I am pretty sure they will have you do the same thing I have indicated.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I thank you for your assistance. I will get in touch with aol and see what they can do.
Expert:  Scott L replied 7 years ago.
Your welcome