Sudipto, Hardware Engineer
Experience:  Certificate Course In Computer Maintenance

Green light blinks on Sony Vaio Desktop but computer wont

Green light blinks on Sony Vaio Desktop but computer won't start. What does this mean
Category: Computer
Expert:  Molinari replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:
-What operating system are you using?
-What internet browser are you using?
-What have you already tried?

-What model is it?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Computer is a Sony Vaio Desktop VGC-RB42G

Operating System is Windows XP

Browser is IE

Don't know what to try.

Expert:  Sudipto replied 5 years ago.
try a hard reset...
Unplug, remove battery, hold on/start button for about 20 sec, put battery and charger back on and power up. and let me know the results
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
By battery do you mean power supply? I don't know how to take it out.
Expert:  Sudipto replied 5 years ago.
I am extremely sorry for the mis-understandig yours is a desktop.

Ok Please do one thing at first remove the Power and Data cables from the DVD Drive and try to power on. and let me know the results
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Green light still on and noise is comming from the speaker like a tapping sound.You did mean the new drive didn't you?
Expert:  Sudipto replied 5 years ago.
Yes
Do you have removed the cables from that drives
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes. Just from the new drive. Right? Also the green light still keeps clicking and blinking after the power cord is unplugged for several minutes at a slower rate. Was I supposed to remove the cables from the original dvd drive as well?
Expert:  Sudipto replied 5 years ago.
Ok Remove the cables from that dvd also then Press the rams slightly and start your PC.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Same thing. Green light flashes and computer won't start. No drives except hard drive are plugged in and ram is in firm.
Expert:  Sudipto replied 5 years ago.
Ok
Press the power button untill the green light turns off after that remove the power cord from back of the system and leave it for 5 to 10 mins then connect the power cord and start the PC without the DVD/CD Drives and let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Nothing. Is the power supply bad?

Expert:  Sudipto replied 5 years ago.
You will be lucky if the power supply is bad but the symptons are indicating towards the Mother Board you can try this out just deattach all the drive's connection except the power supplies from the M/B and try to power on there two power connectors which connects to the m/b from the power supply (SMPS) one is 4 Pin and another is 20 Pin.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm sorry to be so dense but I see the four pin it is white and black, but the only thing I see that could be 20 pin is the cable to the drives. Are those the two?
Expert:  Sudipto replied 5 years ago.
Ok
When you switch on the PC the power supply fan behind the system is on or off please let me know that
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Both fans are off and do not come on.

Expert:  Sudipto replied 5 years ago.
Okay
That means the maximum chances are the power supply is damaged some how but please check the power connectors of the Mother Board.I am giving the image s below for your help.

20 Pins Connector
graphic

4 Pin Connector
graphic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Okay I was right on the 4 pin one, but I can't seem to get the 20 pin one out. I now see it since you sent the picture. Am I supposed to unplug these two cords?

Expert:  Sudipto replied 5 years ago.
You can try that unplug both of the plug and the firmly connect it if this doesnot help then the power supply is bad you have to replace it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Okay both are plugged in securely and computer still not coming on just the green light.

Can I get a printout of this session?

Expert:  Sudipto replied 5 years ago.
You can bookmark this page by pressing Ctrl+D it will better if you can take the tower part without the moniter to any nearest shop they will change the defective parts and hold the liability if any damage happens.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you very much SUDIPTO for your help. Sony doesn't sell this part anymore, but I found a site that sells OEM for this computer. What is
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you very much SUDIPTO for your help. Sony doesn't sell this part anymore, but I found a site that sells OEM for this computer. What is an OEM part and can it be changed out by my son?

Expert:  Sudipto replied 5 years ago.
An original equipment manufacturer, or OEM is typically a company that uses a component made by a second company in its own product, or sells the product of the second company under its own brand there no problem in using a OEM product.The aprt can be changed by any one if he or she is confident about that.

Sudipto, Hardware Engineer
Experience: Certificate Course In Computer Maintenance