Ryan B.
Ryan B., Support Specialist
Experience:  Comptia A+ Certified Technician , with 8+ years Experience
16548393

I have a DC210 and I cannot finalise the disc, when I turn

Customer Question

I have a DC210 and I cannot finalise the disc, when I turn the camera on after a while I get "unable to recognize recording mode of disc" the disc has been in the camera all the holidays and has some special shots on. We reviewed the video on the camera several time prior to the above message being shown
Category: Computer
Expert:  Ryan B. replied 5 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to Just Answer~!~ Smile

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I would like to help you out tonight with the problem you have been experiencing. Please follow the steps below to see if this will resolve your issue.

Just to assure you are finalizing the disk correctly please review these steops.

Issue: How do I finalize the DVD disc?

Solution: Procedure for finalizing the DVD on the DC200 series, DC300 series and DC50 DVD camcorders

Preparing your Disc for Playing on a DVD Player

Finalizing the disc

Playing Back your Disc on a DVD Player or a Computer's DVD Drive

In order to play the disc you recorded on a DVD player, a computer's DVD drive or other digital device, you need to finalize it first. Refer also to the instruction manual of the DVD player/recorder or the computer's DVD drive.

• When finalizing a disc, always power the camcorder directly from a power outlet. The finalization process cannot be started if the camcorder is powered only with the battery pack.
  • Do not disconnect the power adapter while the disc finalization is in progress. Doing so can interrupt the process and result in lost data.
  • Depending on the type of disc and the disc specification, after finalizing the disc you may not be able to initialize the disc, edit your recordings or add new recordings to the disc.
  • Do not finalize with the camcorder discs that were not recorded using this camcorder.
  • A finalized DVD-RW in VIDEO mode can be unfinalized to allow recording additional scenes and other limited editing options.
  • Once finalized, you cannot add recordings to a DVD-R disc.
  • The time required to complete the disc finalization will vary depending on the scene recording conditions and the amount of free space remaining on the disc.

Restrictions after Disc Finalization

--

Additional Recordings

Edit Recordings

Initializing the Disc

DVD-R in VIDEO mode

No

No

No

DVD-RW in VIDEO mode

No

No

Yes

DVD-RW in VR mode

Yes

Yes

Yes

Finalizing the disc

1. Set the camcorder to play movies or view still images on the disc (or /).

2. Press the <FUNC.> button.

3. Select the [Setup Menu ] and press ().
    - Select [Disc Operations] and press ().
    - Select [Finalize] and press ().
    - Select [Yes] and press ().
    - The disc finalization progress bar and the remaining time are displayed.
    - Depending on the size of the non-recorded area of the disc, the finalization process may be lengthy.
    - Avoid moving the camcorder while the disc finalization is in progress.
    - When using a finalized disc, the finalization mark "F" will appear next to the disc type and disc specification displays.

4. Once the finalization process has completed press the <FUNC.> button to exit the menu.

After you finalized your disc, you can play it on a DVD-R or DVD-RW compatible DVD player, DVD recorder or DVD drive on a computer. On most DVD players look for the DVD-R/RW compatibility logo . Refer also to the instruction manual of your DVD player or DVD recorder.

Playing the Disc on a DVD Player

1. Turn on the TV and DVD player.

2. Insert a finalized disc in the DVD player.

3. Select the scene you want to play from the index screen.

For specific information regarding operation of your DVD player and disc compatibility please refer to your DVD players users guide.

Playing the Disc on a Computer's DVD Drive

1. Insert a finalized disc in the computer's DVD drive.

2. To play back movies:
    - If your DVD playback software does not lunch automatically when inserting a DVD, run the DVD playback software.
    - Refer also to the instruction manual and help modules of your DVD playback software.

3. To view still images recorded on the disc:
    - If your DVD playback software is running, close it.
    - Select the DVD drive with the File Manager software installed in your computer (for example "My Computer" in Windows operating systems, etc.) and select the still images you want to display (You can alternatively use your preferred Image Management software or any other software for cataloguing, browsing or editing digital images installed in your computer).

You need to have DVD playback software installed in your computer to play the DVD.
  • DVD-RW discs recorded in VR mode can only be played on VR compatible DVD players. Depending on your DVD player/recorder you may not be able to play the disc.
  • In order to view the still images recorded on the disc in a DVD player, you have to convert individual images to scenes, or create a Photomovie scene - a slideshow scene of all the still images on the disc before you finalize the disc.
  • The resolution of Photomovie scenes will be lower than that of the original still images.

If after these steps you cannot finialize the dvd, review the following, if that don't work please let me know and I will look for another solution, this is what is listed on the canon website though.

Issue: I cannot finalize the DVD

Solution: Set camcorder to playback mode and connect camcorder to AC power to enable finalization

To reduce the chance of finalization failing due to a weak battery and causing a DVD to become unreadable finalization can only be carried out via AC power.

_______________________________________________________________________

I hope this helps, GOOD LUCK
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry I cannot get the disc opened, i.e. I turn on the camera and the message I indicated in the fisrt message comes up. So I cannot do anything. I have cleaned the disc and camera with alchahol.
Expert:  Ryan B. replied 5 years ago.
alright, so if you are not able to open up the tray for the disk then you must have cleaned the disc and camera before you tried to re-open it? Thats a tricky one, i'm going to opt-out and give another expert the opportunity to help you out, as i'm out of options.