Bryan, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ years of professional support for tech-related issues, including computers, email and software.
12615041

I cannot find any of my old emails, can you please help T

Customer Question

I cannot find any of my old emails, can you please help? Thanks
Category: Computer
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.

Could you specify the email client, i.e. Outlook, Thunderbird, etc., you are using? Also, please elaborate on your issue a bit, as to when has the issue been occurring, so that I can follow up further.

Regards
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

The issue is on my AOL, which I use for my emails. I can only see emails that I have received over the past week, everything else received prior to that cannot be found.

There is a place for Saved Incoming Mail messages.

I hope this helps.

Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
Okay ..first off, have you checked the 'Old Mail' and the 'My Folders > Saved Mail' folders in the left panel for the missing emails?

Regards
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes I have checked these and cannot find any emails from more than a few weeks old. I am looking for emails that were received over a few months old. Thanks
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
In that case, I'm sorry to have to be the bearer of bad news ...'Read' emails remain in the 'Old Mail' folder for a time period of 30 days, after which they are deleted for good, so I'm afraid there's no way you would be able to retrieve the same now.

Regards
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

The read emails then get send to the Saved Emails which I usually see emails that we sent from the past 3 years. I have been always been able to see these emails and for some strange reason they have disappeared. Can you please explain this?

Thanks

Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
Okay ..could you specify the version of AOL, i.e 8.0, 9.0, etc., you are using?

Regards
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I am not sure which version it is, sorry.

Have been using this email for over 4 years though. Thankjs

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The version I have is 9.0. Thanks
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
Okay ..your 'Saved Mails' are stored in a PFC (Personal Filing Cabinet) folder in your system, which seems have been affected in some way ..hence the issue you are having.

In order to try and resolve the same, please carry out the following instructions:
Click on the AOL icon in the notification area near the system clock, and select 'One-click Fixes'. In the 'AOL One-click Fixes' page that comes up, next to 'Categories', click on 'General PC'; now, next to 'Turn on Windows Automatic Update', click the 'Fix It For Me' button, then Continue > Done.
Done that, disconnect from the Internet; in AOL 9.0, above the AOL toolbar, navigate to Mail > Mail Settings > Manage Saved Mail, and click 'Restore'. In the 'Restore Your Personal Storage' window that comes up, click 'Yes' ..then 'Save'.

Check you are able to get your saved emails back thereafter ..let me know how it goes.

Regards
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Where is the notification area, I don't see it. Is it where I read my emails? WHere I log in? Please let me know. I don't see a system clock either. Thanks
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
It's at the bottom right corner of your screen; you should be seeing a left arrow mark (<) next to some of the icons present ..just click on it and check if there's an AOL icon present in the same. If so, carry out the rest of the steps accordingly and check how it goes for you.

Feel free to get back to me if you need further assistance on the same.

Regards