Sudipto, Hardware Engineer
Experience:  Certificate Course In Computer Maintenance

I cannot sign on to AOL because my SNMaster.idx database file

Customer Question

I cannot sign on to AOL because my SNMaster.idx database file is missing.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Santonu replied 5 years ago.

I think you have already tried the procedures which I was thinking of telling you to try.

Now lets try a different way. You can use System Restore to restore your computer to an earlier date and see if the problem remains.

To restore:

Click Start- >Programs-> Accessories-> System Tools-> System Restore.

Click Next, select a date when AOL worked fine, click Next twice.

Wait for restore operation to complete. When it does, the computer will restart automatically

When it starts again, test the issue.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I tried the system restore but my problem has been ongoing for more than what the restore will allow me to back up to.
Expert:  Santonu replied 5 years ago.

In that case, I will opt out to let the other experts to take a look and provide you with a different solution.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I was talking to SANTONU and as he was giving me information as to the snmaster.idx database file missing from my computer, I tried to get back to him and my computer frooze up and I had reboot and lost contact with him. I have been everywhere trying to get information on how to reinstall the SNMaster.idx database file with no luck. Where can I find this lost file? How can I install/reinstall this file? I have already paid for your service.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Every one I talk to tells me to either;

1. Reboot.

2. Shut down, wait 30 seconds, restart.

3. Go back to a previous setting.

4. Plus, I have done what your tech was going to tell me to do, but nothing has worked

yet. I don't think this file is still in her computer. If it is, where could it be hiding?

So, my simple question is this: I GET AN ERROR MESSAGE THAT SAYS, SNMASTER.IDX DATABASE FILE IS MISSING. HOW DO I DOWNLOAD THE SNMASTER.IDX FILE? I cannot find it on her computer. My wife cannot log on to the internet via AOL (which we have had for 11 years). My computer is running fine.

Expert:  Sudipto replied 5 years ago.

Please download the the latest version from the link below and reinstall it

http://daol.aol.com/software/95/

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I'm sorry, but after trying all the suggestions supplied by you and others, I now cannot even get on the internet. Therefore, it is impossible to try your last suggestion. What now?

It appears that I may have crashed the entire computer, which I presume I will have to either buy a new computer or, take it to a repair shop and have them completely rework it.

Expert:  Sudipto replied 5 years ago.
Try to restore it to an earlier point when the internet is working and then try to downlaod the latest AOL from the link below and install it this will restore the missing file.If this doesn't help then please reinstall the OS because if you take it to the shop they will do the same thing.IF you want to know the steps reinstallation of Xp then please let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm sorry to inform you that you, nor anyone else has answered my last question which was, and still is; after trying everything that you have told me to do has not solved the problem of restoring the SNMaster.idx database file, which cannot be found on my computer. It was there until I had to uninstall and reinstall AOL. That is when I got the first pop-up telling me that the SNMaster.idx file was missing and to restall it. But I could not reinstall it because it could not be found by using "search". HOW DO I FIND AND INSTALL OR REINSTALL this file? Since this problem haas been ongoing, the computer has crashed to the point I cannot even get on the internet.
Expert:  Sudipto replied 5 years ago.
Try to restore it to an earlier point when the internet is working.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Evidently, you do not understand plain English! My computer has finally crashed and I CANNOT get on the internet!!!!! So, now what can I do besides buying a new computer? I cannot find a computer repair store that can give me an answer to my problem regarding the missing SNMaster.idx file. WHAT NOW????
Expert:  Sudipto replied 5 years ago.
Can you tell me what is happening when you try to connect to the internet?
Expert:  Sudipto replied 5 years ago.

I am extremely sorry that I cant help you in this issue I am OPTing OUT and forwarding this to another expert who can help you solve your problem....

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

THANK YOU FOR OPTING OUT AND SENDING MY PROBLEM TO SOMEONE ELSE, WHO, MAY OR MAY NOT HELP.

WITH YOU OPTING OUT, DOES THIS MEAN I STILL OWE THE $15.00? I HOPE NOT BEING THE FACT YOU DID NOT SOLVE MY PROBLEM.

Expert:  Sudipto replied 5 years ago.

Dont worry your payment is not gone any where nothing is charged until you Click on ACCEPT

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So what you are saying is that when I click "Accept", I'll be charged the $15.00 even though you could not help with my problem, Is this right?
Expert:  Sudipto replied 5 years ago.
Yes So dont click ACCEPT until your problem is solved.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your response. It looks like I'll never click the OK button because it appears you cannot fix the problem.