Brad
Brad, Computer Technician
Experience:  20 + years, cert. Win NT, xp, vista Windows 7, Net sec
669790

My Gateway computer is stuck on the gateway screen

Customer Question

Category: Computer
Expert:  Brad replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:
-What operating system are you using?
-What is the age and model?
-What have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The operating system is windows vista basic I believe.
It's not even a year old. It's a gateway GT5670
I tried going into safe mode but it doesn't work.
Right when I turn my computer on it goes straight to the gateway screen and just freezes
Expert:  Brad replied 5 years ago.
Are there any words that apear on the screen? THese would be in small white letters. Is there any lights that come on that are located on the CPU? Are there any beeps.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There are small white letters that says "Boot Menu: <F10>" "BIOS SETTINGS: <F2>
The only light coming out of the computer is the power button.
There are no beeps when the computer is turning on.
Expert:  Brad replied 5 years ago.
Press F10 when it gets to that point. Make sure that the devices that are listed there are present. For example you have a CD pr DVD ROM, it should be on the list. There should also be a hard disk present on the list. IF you would like you can tell me what the list says. I am leaning towards a hard disk failure on this machine.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I tried pressing F10. It doesn't do anything
Expert:  Brad replied 5 years ago.
Restart and when you power it on, start F10 right away
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I tried that just now. It does not do anything. It just goes straight to the Gateway starting screen and just stops there.
Expert:  Brad replied 5 years ago.
Try F2 and see if that will let you into the BIOS
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I tried that. Nothing new happens
Expert:  Brad replied 5 years ago.
Put in one of the system DVD/CD and see if it will boot to that
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I do not have that.
Expert:  Brad replied 5 years ago.
Do the fans start? Does the caps and num lock lights on e keyboard flash? Can you see if any of the disk lights come on? There are lights on the DVD and HDD. Are any of these flashing when it boots? Have you added anything to the machine like a new graphics card? How do you feel about taking the side cover off?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, the fans do start. My keyboard does not have lights on it so I would not know. The disk lights do come on. There are no lights flashing. The only light that is on is the power light. I will take the side cover off if I need to.
Expert:  Brad replied 5 years ago.
HAve you added anything? Like new cards?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No I have not
Expert:  Brad replied 5 years ago.
I am at a toss up as to whether this is motherboard failure or PSU. The cheapest is PSU. You can go get one and install it yourself. The best thing to do is to remove the old one and take it with you to someplace like BestBuy to see if they have other ones that are compatible. The other thing is that it might be the motherboard. This is not cheap and is very involved to figure out. In order to see if it is motherboard or something else, you would have to remove the cover from the computer. You then need to be sure that you are not carrying and stray static electric chages around. This can be done by touching the frame of the computer. Some people believe that you should have the unit plugged in so that you can use the ground system in the house. I am one of those people. The next thing that you need to do is remove the hard disk and the CD/DVD ROM disks. You can just unplug those and leave them in place. You also need to unplug the mouse and the keyboard and take out any cards that are installed on the motherboard. Leave the monitor hooked up. Restart the computer and if it starts then it is something that you unplugged that has gone bad. You can plug each item in one at a time to test them. THis eliminates the suspected item because when the unit stops booting you have found it. IF everything is unplugged and it still wont boot there should be a green light that is present on the motherboard, IT may or may not have one. At this point you are at the choice of replacing one or the other.