NeOh
NeOh, Computer Software Engineer
Experience:  Currently working in web applications.Good Experience in C,VB,ASP,Javascript

why does my dvd player in my computer not recognize and cd/dvd

why does my dvd player in my computer not recognize and cd/dvd but it does recognize the drive on an home xp operating system
Category: Computer
Expert:  NeOh replied 5 years ago.

I can help you for solving this issue.

Your problem may occur if the CD Drive hardware got any complaint.

To confirm this, Put the CD/DVD in the Drive

Goto Start -> Run

Type CMD and click OK

now the command prompt will come . type the CD drive name here and enter
( for example "G:" with out quotes )

you will be in the drive now. type DIR and enter

if you can't see anything here or CMD gives any error, then your CD Drive is malfunctioned.

Try to clean the Lens of the CD Drive and put any CD/DVD

if the problem persist, then you have to repair/replace your CD Drive

Hope this will solve your problem

Thanks
Shidhin
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry for the delay. We did ,run,cmd,e:dir enter and it came up drive not ready. We had a cd in the drive. We are not sure what not ready means but prior to your suggestion we deleted the drive and rebooted and my computer recognizes the drive but windows does not recognize the disc. we have not cleaned it yet. any suggestions?
Expert:  NeOh replied 5 years ago.

if You got the Drive is not ready message, then it is the problem of the DVD Drive hardwarwe.

Your computer can detect a Drive there, bacause it is attached. but the Drive is malfunctioning.

sometimes the problem will be solved after cleaning the Lens . if the problem persists then it is better to Replace/Repair the DVD Drive.

Thanks

Shidhin
NeOh, Computer Software Engineer
Experience: Currently working in web applications.Good Experience in C,VB,ASP,Javascript