JMU 1998
JMU 1998, Consultant
Experience:  11+ years of Technical Consulting Experience
15759051

I have a Toshiba satellite A105. System Restore does not work

Customer Question

I have a Toshiba satellite A105. System Restore does not work anymore and also Help & Support and Search do not work. I restored the OS and this did not help that much. I think I should reinstall the OS but I realized that when I got this computer I did not have a Microsoft Office and a Windows XP CDs that came with it. If I take the Toshiba CD that came with the program MAYBE I will be able to reinstall Windows XP. Can you confirm this? And what am I supposed to do with Microsoft Office? Buy a new one?
Category: Computer
Expert:  JMU 1998 replied 5 years ago.
Well couple of things:
1). Is the Toshiba CD you are talking about labeled (Operating System or Install disk)?
2). If you do not have the install disks do you happen to have the serial #'s for the XP CD?
3). Sometimes the serial # XXXXX XXXXX on a sticker on the body of the device, look at the bottom.

If you have the serial # XXXXX you can call Microsoft Support and explain to them that I have the serial # XXXXX do not have the CD/Media. They will ship you a CD (you may have to pay for shipping) but you can then install form that CD using the Serial # XXXXX belongs to you.

4). As far as MS Office is concerned same thing is there any documentation that came with this device it may have the Serial # XXXXX it as well and you can follow the same procedure.

I know this sounds like a pain and may take time but I am not sure what other "legal" way this can be accomplished.

Here is the # XXXXX Microsoft support (800)(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr />
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you.
1) The CD is labelled as follows: TOSHIBA Recovery and Application/Drivers DVD Satellite A100/A105 Series. "The software included on this Recovery DVD was pre-installed on your hard drive at the factory and may only be used for backup and recovery of your Toshiba computer system. Performance of the software is the sole responsibility of Toshiba.
2) I see the label. This is what is written on it:

Windows XP Pro
[bar code] G66C0000H410
Product Key: GHWH3-YY4CG-HC46Y-272D6
[bar code]
0045-661-738-050

Microsoft
__________ end ___________
On the side of this label, vertically placed, we have a "XII-45371"

3) Thank you for the Microsoft support. I will call them and see also what they suggest.

4) Based on the above data, what do you suggest? Obviously if the only solution is to reinstall the OS, then I will either purchase the program or see if I can use one of the license numbers from my office. I am oversee and it is not exactly the same as handling somethign like this at home.

Expert:  JMU 1998 replied 5 years ago.
Well the product key will work if you choose to re-install the O/S and it seems to me that it is the Product Key for Win XP that is on that disk.

This is what you can do:
1). Save all your data, personal files etc... to an external drive or media (jump drive/usb drive)

2). Boot up the machine using that CD and try to re-install the OS. That Product Keyshould work for you since it belongs to you.

3). As far as the MS Office is concerned you can try to call Microsoft and explain what has happened and they may give you another key but I can't gurantee that.