David L
David L, Systems Engineer
Experience:  Microsoft & Cisco Certified with over 20 years experience

My PC will not let me enter password to log in to Windows

My PC will not let me put a password  in to log on to windows?

Category: Computer
Expert:  David L replied 7 years ago.

Ok, assuming you are using Windows XP reboot your PC and at the XP progress bar press F8 and when the menu appears select Last Known Good and then reboot.

Let me know if that resolves the issue.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I used the F8 key and L but this did not work. Still boots to profile 1 and there is profile 2 but I can't select any keys with my mouse. It will not let me type anything.

Expert:  David L replied 7 years ago.

Ok, then reboot and press F8 and select Safe Mode. Let me know if you can login to Safe Mode and then reboot and login Normal Mode.

If you can only login to Safe Mode then perform a System Restore in Safe Mode:

1. Click the Start button, then click All Programs, click Accessories, click System Tools, and then click System Restore.
2. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, enter the password or provide confirmation.
3. Follow the prompts to restore your system settings to a time before the issue occurred.

Let me know if the above resolves the issue or if you need further assistance.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I can't get to start screen. When the computer comes on it ask for my password which when I try to type in my password , nothing happens. Can't type any thing into the area.

Expert:  David L replied 7 years ago.

Ok, this may sound strange but if you have a PS/2 keyboard, try plugging that into your computer and then reboot and try to login.

Let me know if that resolves the issue.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I just realized that my key board has battery in it and I changed my battery and it works ok. Guess that we need to know and remember if our keyboard has batteries that they also go bad. Since my mouse was working I just had forgotten that the key board was also fed by battery.

Expert:  David L replied 7 years ago.

Thank you and glad to hear that you got it working :)