Barun, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience in providing support for tech-related issues, including computers, email and software.

When I delete an email, it comes back in my inbox 6 or 7 times.

When I delete an email, it comes back in my inbox 6 or 7 times. I talked to an earthlink senior agent for one hour trying to find the problem. He finally came up with it is NOT a earthlink problem, call Microsoft. Microsoft said to contact emachines. I corrected this problem about a year ago by going into my web mail and deleting the emails; however, this time web mail has NO emails in that box.     CAN YOU HELP????????
Category: Computer
Expert:  Barun replied 7 years ago.

Could you specify the email client, and the operating system you are using? Also, since when has this issue been occurring?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi, I am using Microsoft Windows XP Earthlink email is Outlook Express

Syvilla 2

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I was gone from the computer for 7 weeks and I did not go on web mail to read and delete emails. Nov 16-Dec 27 When I returned on Dec 27 I had 100 plus emails and many of them were spam. When I deleted the emails they would come back into my inbox 6 or 7 times. This has happened in the past and Earthlink instructed me to go into the web mail and delete or trash them from the webmail. This worked and when I tried it this time my web mail said there were no messasges, eventhough I had almost 600 in the inbox. I talked to two different Earthlink agents and they finally said I needed to talk to a Senior Agent. I contacted the SR Agent and he worked with me for over an hour, changing settings, etc, etc etc. He called me back on my cell phone to give me the directions. I do not have many min on my cell because I use it just for emergencies. After more that an hour, he told me that it is NOT an Earthlink problem and I should call Microsoft. Microsoft told me to contact my computer company. That is when I contacted emachines. I hope this info is help for you. Syvilla 2
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is there any other information you need from me? Should I expect a reply soon? I have never used your service before, so I do not know what to expect. Will you reply by email? I have been checking my email frequently for a response. I do not really know if I am receiving all of my emails that have been sent to me. Do you ever use the phone for solving computer problems? Puzzled in NM. Syvilla 2
Expert:  Barun replied 7 years ago.

First off, my apologies for not getting back to you earlier ..I had gone off for a couple of days.

As for your issue, please open Outlook Express, go to Tools > Accounts > (your account) > Properties > Advanced, then check if the 'Leave a copy of messages on server' option is checked. If so, uncheck it accordingly and apply the settings.
Now, carry out the following steps and see how it goes for you:
1) Close OE, then go to Start > Search > For Files or Folders > All Files and Folders.
2) In the search field, type in *.dbx; below that, click on 'Advanced Options', then check all of the following in Type of File > All Files and Folders:
Search system folders
Search hidden files and folders
Search subfolders

Now, click on 'Search' accordingly.
3) In the search results that comes up, delete the Deleted Items.dbx file, if present.
4) Now, restart Outlook Express; the DBX file should be recreated automatically ..check if the issue still persists now.

Let me know how it goes.

Expert:  Barun replied 7 years ago.
Any updates on this one?