Santonu
Santonu, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Diploma in Hardware
13934950

I have a DVD writer, Model SH-S222, installed but the computer

Customer Question

I have a DVD writer, Model SH-S222, installed but the computer hasn't recognised it so it won't play anything, though it opens and closes the tray all right. I have XP Professional installed and, until recently, everything worked well, so what's gone wrong. Someone told me to go to the registry and delete the upper and lower filter, but I can't find them and anyway don't want to delete things there! Is there a new driver for this model missing?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Santonu replied 5 years ago.

First of all, Open Control Panel-> System, click on Hardware tab, click Device Manager. Look for any DVD/CDROM drive. If found click the + sign before it, and you will see the name of your DVD Writer.
Right click on it and click Uninstall. Once uninstalled, restart your computer.

When the computer starts again, check if the DVD drive is detected.
If not, please let me know

Thanks

Santonu, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Diploma in Hardware
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, the Samsung DVD writer is not listed, as it once was. Anyway, I did all you said a few hours ago...
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, the Samsung DVD writer isn't shown, so I can't delete it. Only the CD reader is listed and that works fine.
Expert:  Santonu replied 5 years ago.
First of all I must apologise for the delay.

Next please restart your computer, Press and hold the Del key to enter BIOS setup. Let me know if the DVD writer is detected in bios.
If you can't get into bios, please let me know the model number of your computer.

Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It seems that there was no fault with the original Samsung DVD writer (because I repluged the IDE cable into it and that gave it life). Instead, I think the problem lies somewhere else because : all the picture files that I want to copy to CD and DVD take ages to appear, I mean very many minutes, and then if I try to start again I'm told the computer is not responding, ie, it crashes. Therefore, I'm not surprised that the DVD writer can't work, so what's going wrong now, I've never had this problem before?
Expert:  Santonu replied 5 years ago.
There can be multiple reasons, both software and hardware, which can cause this things to happen.

To identify the problem, first try to copy a file (at least 100 MB) from a DVD or CD to your Desktop and see if freezes there.
Repeat the procedure at lest two times.

Please let me know how it goes.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Dear Mr Santonu, sorry I've been away so long but other things intervened, I'm afraid.

I tried copying some pictures to CD using the Windows wizard but first they wouldn't appear for about 2 or 3 minutes, then when they did and were selected seemed to copy all right (only about 8MB, not 100MB as you suggested), but then the CD looked suspiciously unrecorded, then, though the file name appeared on platback, clicking it produced a blank screen and finally an unresponding message. This now happens all the time, so I have to return to the desktop to do anything else.

Oddly enough, text files copy and safe okay, and Corel Photo Album 6 shows all the pictures I've got (1000's of them), but when I revert back to opening them from the main folder in the hard drive, everything stops responding again, though there's plenty of free space on the hard drive.

The C: drive is partitioned, has only about 2.85GB free (15.9GB used) but the other part has 67.2GB free and 28.4GB used (which is where all the pictures are stored).

I've used Spybot-S&R to clean up malware, run SystemMechanic 8 at startup, and have Uniblue RegistryBooster installed, so could there be a conflict somewhere causing this very slow process, followed by non-responses?

Also, I can't find System Restore which seems to have disappeared, so I can't go back a month or so when everything was fine.

For information the computer has an AMD Semplon 3000+ processor with 1GB RAM and NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500, also a Maxtor hard drive and VIA SATA RAID Controller.

Expert:  Santonu replied 5 years ago.
Lets start from the last information you provided.

System Restore point are known to get corrupted when we get any virus or malware infection. It can also happen after using system optimization softwares.

To scan for malwares, Spybot S&D is a good option. But I will ask you to first try the following link to download trial version of Antimalware from Malwareytes (don't purchase anything, just download the trial version)

http://www.download.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html?part=dl-10804572&subj=dl&tag=button

Once downloaded, install it and scan your computer.

As I understand from here, the overall performance of your computer is slower than it should be.

Please also run a disk cleanup from Start-> Programs-> Accessories-> System Tools-> Disk Cleanup. Select C: and click Ok.

Please let me know how it goes

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Dear Mr Santonu,

Disk Cleanup worked well on both partitions on the drive, as did defragging them. As for Spyware Doctor, after saying that I had 122 low risk items aboard (which puzzled me since Spybot and AOL's own clean up tool gave me the all clear!), then proceeded to scan the system and had to be stopped after nearly nine hours (by which time it had only scanned about 44%!). Naturally, they wanted me to buy a licence to go any further, but I thought I'd try opening those files again first, just in case disk cleaning and compressing had worked.

Well, I'm afraid it hadn't, as soon as I called up the drive with the list of files I wanted and tried maximising it to fill the screen the whole thing stopped responding instantly. This doesn't happen with the written document folders (my writings, spreadsheet, other files, etc), only the folders with pictures. Therefore, I can't transfer any of them to CDs or DVDs.

It seems to me that there is a problem with some software somewhere, probably in the Registry, but I can't get any further with that, so what do you think?

Expert:  Santonu replied 5 years ago.
It seems like you are having the problem when you are openning any folder which has Thumbnail view enabled.

Please try this

Open Control Panel-> System-> Advanced tab. Click on Settings under Performance, select Adjust for best performance. Click Apply and Ok.

Next Open Control Panel-> Folder Options, click on View tab and click Reset All Folders.

Now see if the problem remains
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for all that but still things are wrong. The main folders appear but can't be maximised, "program not responding" comes up and everything has to be shut down again. And now an odder thing has happened: clicking the folder with my novel's chapters in it, most of them appear in blue now, not in black, as before! Fortunately, the actual text is still in black when it's selected, thank goodness. I wonder what else is going to go wrong....
Expert:  Santonu replied 5 years ago.
The problem with colour of the selected item( from Black to Blue) is not a problem.

This happens after changing the Performance settings (Control Panel-> System-> Advanced tab). that I told you to try.

Are you facing any other problem ?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes, I can't maximise the folders, they keep freezing and/or take a very long time (I mean many minutes) to show their contents, if they are pictures. However, Corel Photo Album 6 has no difficulty with this and can easily show over 500 pictures down the side bar, each of which can be moved to the screen for viewing or adjustment (though I use Paint Shop Pro for that).

Also, I think that the change to blue may be a result of compressing all files to gain disk space, which I did yesterday on the smaller partition of drive C. Anyway, it doesn't worry me too much, it's the not responding and inability to fill the screen which is annoying. Finally, Windows Installer now keeps saying it can't find the ISUS file, but I know it's there, so you can see that I'm getting pretty fed up by now (as no doubt you are too!).

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The change of colour was just solved by removing the tick in the box which says something about compressed NTSC files in that place arrived at via the Control Panel, so thanks for drawing my attention to it. However, all the other problems remain.