Ask Jonathan T Computer Pro Your Own Ques...

Jonathan T Computer Pro
Jonathan T Computer Pro, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ years in IT, degree in Computer Engineering, Networking Expert

I am thinking of buying a used Sony Vaio VGN-BX660P laptop

I am thinking of buying a used Sony Vaio VGN-BX660P laptop for about $300. I want a machine with XP pro so I can use my old software like AutoCad 2000 on it. The seller does not have any discs with it. My friend has a Vaio PCG-FR290P which she bought new and has all her disks. Would the system and other discs from her Vaio serve to restore the drive on mine if I were to need them? Is this a reasonable price for a machine like this?
Hi Notfishing,

Thank you for posting your question on I am looking forward to assisting you with this question. To answer your first question, the Sony Vaio VGN-BX660P seems like a really new computer compared to your friend's Vaio PCG-FR290P. I could not find your friend's exact model, however, I was able to find one close to it. The model number I found was:

According to the comparison of the specs between the two computers, the Vaio VGN-BX660P seems to be WAY better than that of your friends. I am unable to verify this claim because I am merely going off the specifications listed in the following document:

My guess is that a system restore using the disc from your friend's computer will work, however, it may not contain the necessary drivers and software that your computer may need to run correctly. Instead, I recommend that you use the inherent recovery system on the laptop itself following the instructions in the PDF below:
(page 35)

To address your second question, I do believe this is a great buy for this particular laptop (if the specs from the previous document is correct). I did a lookup on some comparable prices for the laptop and see that they are roughly $500. For your convenience, below are the links with this information:

Please let me know if you have any questions about the information provided above.