Triv
Triv, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  MCP, A+ & N+ Certified, 15+ Years of Experience
11887880

When I restart my computer all stored user names and passwords

Customer Question

When I restart my computer all stored user names and passwords to
web sites like my banks, newspapers and companies that I do business with are
deleted from the web page. The other problems are my saved home page on
Internet
explorer is changed back to Dell or MSN run once. Also and stored key numbers
that are required to run a program are removed and I must put the key numbers
back in.All saved programs that I have pinned to my start menu are removed.
All
these things happen only when I restart the computer. I can restart windows
explorer and everything is fine. Please Help.Thanks I have run
anti spyware removal, defraged drive, I use windows live one care. I used malbytes, smitfraud,windows defender
Category: Computer
Expert:  Triv replied 5 years ago.
It might be that you have somehow made a mandatory profile.

Search for a file called ntuser.man, if you find this file. Rename it to ntuser.dat.

Another item you can try is to create a new User with Administrator rights, and see if you are able to retain and use this account.

If these do not work, please let me know as there are multiple other options to try.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

All the ntuser files are "dat" I tried the other method a few days ago and the other user account made no difference.

George

Expert:  Triv replied 5 years ago.
Is this computer on a network (lan) - or a standalone with a connection to the internet
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It is a standalone using ATT dsl for internet. I use windows live one care for protection
Expert:  Triv replied 5 years ago.
You may also try doing a system restore back to the point to where things were working correctly. You will not lose any data, but you may need to install software that you installed after the issue started.

To run a System Restore follow these instructions:

Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Restore.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I can't do that as it seems that the old dates are gone. the earliest date id Jan 15 and the problem is two months old. Sorry
Expert:  Triv replied 5 years ago.
How comfortable are you working within the registry?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Never did it
Expert:  Triv replied 5 years ago.
Can you verify that you have administrator access to this PC - you can find this information in the User Control Panel.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes I do
Expert:  Triv replied 5 years ago.
If you would like to try editing the registry I will provide the instructions below. Working with the registry can be dangerous, where if you accidently change something, that are not in the instructions, you may need to reinstall XP and all its software. If you do not feel comfortable with this, I will gladly opt-out and there will be no charge for the time we have spent.

Backup Windows XP Registry

loadTOCNode(3, 'resolution');
  1. Click Start , click Run , type regedt32 in the Open box, and then click OK .
  2. Locate and click the following registry key:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Protected Storage System Provider
  3. On the File menu, click Export .
  4. In the File name box, type a unique name for the key.
  5. In the Save In box, click a location for the file, and then click Save .
  6. On the Registry menu, click Exit .

Remove Windows XP User Account Information

loadTOCNode(3, 'resolution');
  1. Quit all programs.
  2. Click Start , click Run , type regedit32 in the Open box, and then click OK .
  3. Locate and click the following registry key:
  4. On the Edit menu, click Permissions .
  5. Click the registry key for the user that is currently logged on and ensure that Read and Full Control permissions are both set to Allow .
  6. Click the Advanced button, ensure that the user that is currently logged on is selected, that Full Control is listed in the Permissions column, and that This Key and Subkeys is listed in the Apply to column.
  7. Click to select the Replace permission entries on all child objects with entries shown here that apply to child objects check box.
  8. Click Apply , and then click Yes when you receive a prompt to continue.
  9. Click OK , and then click OK again.
  10. Double-click the Protected Storage System Provider key to expand the key, click the user subkey folder that is directly below the Protected Storage System Provider key, click Delete on the Edit menu, and then click Yes in the warning message dialog box.

The user subkey folder looks similar to the following example:
    S-1-5-21-124525095-708259637-1543119021-16701
    NOTE : For every identity that you have, there may be a subkey under the Protected Storage System Provider key. To resolve this issue in all of your identities, you must delete all of the user subkeys folders under the Protected Storage System Provider key.
  11. On the Registry menu, click Exit , and then restart your computer.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I don't think I want to do this. I have had a long day and I don't want to screw up.

Sorry

George

Expert:  Triv replied 5 years ago.
Not a problem have a nice evening George.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

If I attempt this at a later date and it works how do i get in touch with you to pay you?

Thanks

george

Expert:  Triv replied 5 years ago.
If you do complete the change, and it works for you come back to your question and select Accept..
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The suggestions were things I already did with the exception of going into the registry. The tech even caution me that was a dangerous solution and I did not want to try it.

George

Expert:  Jerry Hannell replied 5 years ago.

Hello George,

I just have a suggestion for you.

Please go to control panel/users.

Just create a new user with administration privilages.

And when you login to your computer, login with this new account.

Can you give it a try

thanks.

Jerry H.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

That was one of the first things your tech suggested. See reply one. I had already tried that previously and it mad no difference.

Thanks

George

Expert:  Triv replied 5 years ago.
Good Day George,

In the case where you may not be comfortable editing the registry, all other attempts to have been tried.

Another option could be to backup your data, such as documents, pictures, music, video, email and any other information you would like to retain.

Windows XP includes a tool called Files and Setting Transfer Wizard, which can be located under Start/ All Programs/Accessories /System Tools. You will have a choice to save the data to CD-Rom and other storage devices.

Once complete try preforming a repair. This can be achieved by, inserting the XP CD into the computer, and restarting the computer to boot off the CD-Rom - you would then follow the onscreen instructions to attempt a repair. This is one option.

The other option much more finite would be to backup all the personal data, and Reinstall Windows. This will correct the issue but you will need to install all your applications that are not included in window. You will need your XP CD-KEY for this process.