David L
David L, Systems Engineer
Experience:  Microsoft & Cisco Certified with over 20 years experience

My computer wont recognize my mp3 player. When it is pluged

My computer won't recognize my mp3 player. When it is pluged in a message appears and says "one of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned and windows doesn't recognize it. When in the control panel it says I need a driver. Where can I find this driver? Is this my only problem?
Category: Computer
Expert:  David L replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

First, what is the make and model of your MP3 player? You probably need to install a driver for the device first.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The mp3 player is a Sansa fuze 4gb mp3. I am pretty sure I need to install a driver. I am just not sure where to get it.
Expert:  David L replied 7 years ago.

Ok, go to the link below, select the model of Sansa (which is Fuze), your operating system (be specific if you have XP SP2 installed) and you will need your Sansa nearby to get numbers off of it.

Let me know if this resolves the issue or if you need further assistance.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Still no luck. Still get a message that says windows doesn't recognize the device.
Expert:  David L replied 7 years ago.
When you install the driver is the Fuze plugged in? Also, are you running XP SP3?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The Fuze was not pluged in. I do not think I am running SP3. I think it is just XP. Not sure what the SP2 and SP3 mean?

Expert:  David L replied 7 years ago.

Ok, so Service Pack 2 is what most machines are running right now while the Service Pack 3 update has been provided by Microsoft and many have reported issues after installing Service Pack 3. To check which one you are running click Start, then Run and type Dxdiag and press Enter. In the first tab in the window that appears you will be able to read what version of Windows XP you are running (SP2 or SP3) and then let me know.

Note that the Fuze driver was very specific and has a different driver for XP SP2 than for non-SP2 versions of Windows XP so also confirm that you downloaded the correct driver.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

It is sp2.

Expert:  David L replied 7 years ago.
Ok, so confirm that you have downloaded and installed the SP2 driver. If you have downloaded and installed the standard XP driver or if you are not sure then uninstall the driver again, download the SP2 driver and install, then plug in the Fuze and see if the issue is resolved.