Michael Demko
Michael Demko, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  I've worked for over 15 years in Technical Support for companies such as IBM and BrightHouse.
14986018

My delete key has stopped working in OUTLOOK EXPRESS

star-full

Customer

Thank you for coming to JustAnswer for support. I'll be happy to look into this with just a little bit more information.

Are you saying that your Delete Key doesn't delete messages in Outlook Express? Or while you're composing an e-mail and hitting the Delete Key, it doesn't function correctly? Or is it both?

Thanks,
Michael Demko
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the delete button does not work at all in Outlook Express, but works ok in other programmes

Magas,

This might have something to do with your Deleted Items folder becoming corrupted. Compacting the folder should solve this.

Click on the Delete Items folder. Click on File --> Folder --> Compact

Once this process is complete, restart Outlook Express, and see if the delete button begins working again.

Thanks,

Michael Demko

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No luck, when I go to compact, a notice flashes on and straight off, no time to read.but went through procedure suggested, but no luck.
You likely have a corrupted mail folder. If you are lucky, it is the Deleted Items
folder, and not the folder you are trying to delete the messages from.

For a corrupted Deleted Items folder:

- Find out which version of Outlook Express you're using by clicking Help --> About Outlook Express

- Close Outlook Express.

- For Outlook Express 4: Locate the files Deleted Items.mbx and Deleted Items.idx in the mail directory and delete them. You can use Start --> Find --> Files or Folders --> "Deleted Items.??x" to find them.

- OE5+: Locate the file Deleted Items.dbx in the mail directory and delete it. You can
use Start --> Search --> Files or Folders --> "Deleted Items.dbx" to find it. Since you're on Windows XP, you need to use the advanced options to find Hidden or System files.

- Open Outlook Express again. It will create a new empty Deleted Items.

See if your Delete key works at that time. If it does not, unfortunately, it looks like your Inbox may have become corrupted. You will need to uninstall and reinstall Outlook Express.

-Michael

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
How do I delete Outlook Express? and re install?

I had money owing to me on here how can I use it to pay you?
What service pack do you have with your Windows XP? If you don't know this, you can go to Start --> Control Panel --> System - it should show you on this screen which service pack is installed.

Thanks,
Michael

p.s. - I'm forwarding your info to the admins, and they'll look into the credit owed to you.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for forwarding to admin.
I have XP Service pack 3
version 2002
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for forwarding to admin.
I have XP Service pack 3
version 2002

And I apologize for not having asked this previous, but did you figure out which version of Outlook Express you're using?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Outloook Express pack 6
OK, since OE6 is installed as part of Windows XP, we will need to flag it as uninstalled first. In order to do this, we will need to edit a registry key. With any registry key editing, I always recommend making a backup of your registry first. In order to do this, follow the instructions listed at this website: http://www.theeldergeek.com/windows_xp_registry.htm

However, since we're only making one simple change to the registry here, and it's not one that will impact any other programs, it may not be necessary. It's up to you.

Here is the way to flag Outlook Express 6 as being uninstalled:

1. Click on Start --> Run; type in regedit; Click OK

2. You should see a folder structure on your left side. Drill down to the following location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{44BBA840-CC51-11CF-AAFA-00AA00B6015C}

Click on the {44BBA840-CC51-11CF-AAFA-00AA00B6015C} Folder

3. You should now see some values on the right side of the screen. Double-click the value "IsInstalled"; Change the 'Value Data' to 0; Click OK

4. Close the registry editor window.

At this point, Outlook has been flagged as uninstalled, and you should be able to download and reinstall it, using this link:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1e1550cb-5e5d-48f5-b02b-20b602228de6&DisplayLang=en

Let me know if this works for you.

Thanks,
Michael
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I give up.
Am 76 and not up to all this tech.
I typed in regedit; as instructed and came back Windows cannot find. So Michael lets call it a day,
Thanks for all your help.
OK. I apologize for this taking such an effort.
Experience: I've worked for over 15 years in Technical Support for companies such as IBM and BrightHouse.