Dave K
Dave K, Information Systems Manager
Experience:  30+ years experience in I.T., Certified Oracle Developer & DBA, and Director of I.T.
4585472

How do I secure my DSL (Westell 347W) modem

Customer Question

How do I secure my DSL (Westell 347W) modem?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Dave K replied 7 years ago.
Hello. I'm not familiar with that model - is it a modem or a modem/wireless router combo? If it's a straight modem, there is nothing to secure. What kind of security are you looking to implemenmt?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi Dave,

It is a DSL modem/wireless router and I want to secure the wireless connection so others can't piggyback.

Aloha,

Expert:  Dave K replied 7 years ago.

OK, that's what I suspected. Are you able to log into the router? Normally this is done from your browser - put http://192.168.1.1 in your address line (I'm assimunign that is the address of the router, although it may also be 192.168.0.1). Once in you will need a username and password XXXXX do you have these or are they the default? Default is usually one of the following:

Username: admin or blank

Password: admin or blank

Once in there may be a setup wizard that will take you through the steps, otherwise you will set up WEP security where you will provide an encryption key - make sure you records that because you will need to enter the same one in your computer. I suggest 128 bit encryption, which will require a 13-character key, like "see spot run." without he quotes.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thanks Dave.

I couldn't find a setup wizard but I did find the area where I could set up the wireless security. Knowing that it dealt with WEP was the key. Also had to make sure I selected 'shared' connection on both the router and the computer.

Thanks again and Happy New Year,

Expert:  Dave K replied 7 years ago.
I'm glad to help - Happy New Year to you too.