Rita, Network Administrator
Experience:  Network Administrator for large company, Microsoft certified system builder

I need to reset or clear password on my toshiba laptop satellite

Customer Question

I need to reset or clear password XXXXX my toshiba laptop satellite L300D. I appear to have lost or forgotton my logon password. When I turn on my laptop it requests the password XXXXX me 3 attempts but does not recognise what i origionally set it to. How can i resolve this.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Rita replied 7 years ago.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-What operating system are you using?

-What have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

What operating system are you using? It has Visa

-What have you already tried? I have tried using the passwords set, removing the battery / power supply / memory slots. The password XXXXX need to reset appears to be the boot up. When I press the on button I see the Toshiba inovation logo then it comes up with the black screen and blue prompt to enter current password XXXXX if I pess ESC, ESC + f1, f2, f8, f9 or all the other alternatives it just keeps comming up with the black screen and blue prompt to enter current password. It does not recognise the password XXXXX after 3 attemps closes down.

Expert:  Rita replied 7 years ago.

This sounds like the bios password XXXXX been set, there are two possibilities of resetting this.

Some BIOS manufacturers implement a backdoor password. The backdoor password XXXXX XXXXX BIOS password XXXXX works, no matter what the user sets the BIOS password XXXXX These passwords are typically used for testing and maintenance. Manufacturers typically change the backdoor BIOS passwords from time to time.

Backdoor BIOS Passwords from Other Manufacturers

Reported BIOS backdoor passwords for other manufacturers include:

ManufacturerBIOS Password
VOBIS & IBMmerlin
Packard Bellbell9

If this fails to work then you will need to use a 3rd party sofrtware that will allow you to reset the password XXXXX bios. I will post some further information about this software below,

!BIOS will recover the BIOS password XXXXX most common BIOS versions, including IBM, American Megatrends Inc, Award and Phoenix.

CmosPwd will recover the BIOS password XXXXX the following BIOS versions:

• AMI WinBIOS 2.5
  • Award 4.5x/4.6x/6.0
  • Compaq (1992)
  • Compaq (New version)
  • IBM (PS/2, Activa, Thinkpad)
  • Packard Bell
  • Phoenix 1.00.09.AC0 (1994), a486 1.03, 1.04, 1.10 A03, 4.05 rev 1.02.943, 4.06 rev 1.13.1107
  • Phoenix 4 release 6 (User)
  • Gateway Solo - Phoenix 4.0 release 6
  • Toshiba
  • Zenith AMI

Resetting a Toshiba BIOS Password

KeyDisk will reset the BIOS password XXXXX Toshiba laptops.

Some Toshiba's can be convinced to bypass the startup BIOS password XXXXX you hold down the <LEFT-SHIFT> key while booting the system.

Hope this helps,

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
None of these suggestions work so it looks as if I will have to go back to the shop.
Expert:  Rita replied 7 years ago.
I am sorry to hear none of the steps above resolved this issue, let me ask what happened when you tried using one of the 3rd party softwares like KeyDisk to reset the bios password?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The laptop would boot from any disk or USB stick. As it locked up on initial boot it would not let me change the boot drive. I have sent it back to currys and awaiting thier assesment of what needs to be done to fix it ie is it going to cost me even though it is only 2 weeks old.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I am waiting for Currys to come back with an assesment of the fault.