Rita
Rita, Network Administrator
Experience:  Network Administrator for large company, Microsoft certified system builder
5454344

I have adobe installed but it will not open files and cant

Customer Question

I have adobe installed but it will not open files and can't delete it to reinstall adobe, how can I fix this problem?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Rita replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-What operating system are you using?
-Are you receiving any error messages when you attempt to install adobe?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Expert:  Rita replied 5 years ago.

This is a common issue as something within your current adobe registry settings have become corrupted. I will post the instructions below on how to fix this issue,

I would recommend using the following tool to remove any installations of Adobe Reader,

Windows Support Tool Windows Installer CleanUp Utility . This removes the folders, files, registry keys and entries from your PC that are put there when an application is installed using Windows Installer.

Once this is completed try reinstalling adobe from the link below,

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html?promoid=BUIGO

Hope this helps,

Thanks

Rita

Rita, Network Administrator
Experience: Network Administrator for large company, Microsoft certified system builder
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you so much for your help, Adobe Reading is now working and it looks like I might have some other files that may need to be removed also.

Expert:  Rita replied 5 years ago.

You are very welcome, glad to hear we were able to get this resolved quickly for you. Thank you very much for the accept.

Rita

Rita, Network Administrator
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Rita, you helped me on my adobe problem as noted above, but found that everytime I need to use adobe I have to remove it per your instructions and download it again, have you run into this issue before and how can I use Adobe each time without re-installing it?

Expert:  Rita replied 5 years ago.

I am sorry to hear you are still having issues with adobe, let me ask though when you go to try to open an adobe document like the one below are you receiving any errors or what occurs?

Also can you check and see if you have older versions of adobe installed under Start - Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs, or does it just list the current version you are running?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I have Adobe Reader 9 and when I try to read something that requires Adobe, it does not open. This is the only version that I am running as I had previously looked for other Adobe's that may have been installed. If I delete the way you had me do it and then download Adobe it will work, but as I don't use it all of the time, it appears that the next time I use it nothing happens, shows done with a blank screen, no errors come up just a blank screen.

Thanks so much for your help on this issue.

Expert:  Rita replied 5 years ago.

hmm thats strange,

let me ask are these adobe files you are receiving as an email attachment?

Or are they PDF files you are downloading off the internet?

Lets try the following go to one of your PDF files you have on your system and right click on the file and go to Properties, in the window that opens under the General tab you will see Open with does it list Adobe Reader here if not click on the Change button and choose Adobe Reader and then put a checkmark in the box at the bottom of the window that states "Allways use the selected application to open this type of file"

Now lets try to open another PDF file and see if Adobe will open it successfully.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
sorry i was out of town when you responded but I have tried opening via email and also thru internet and can't open either way. I am going back to your begining instructions and remove then put it back on to see if I can get it to work. Any other suggestions?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I found that if I say the document in My documents then open Adobe, pull up My Documents with the document I need to read I can get Adobe to work, a little more work but it works that way.