Dave K
Dave K, Information Systems Manager
Experience:  30+ years experience in I.T., Certified Oracle Developer & DBA, and Director of I.T.
4585472

Why is my Canon MP470 not talking to my computer and I am not

Why is my Canon MP470 not talking to my computer and I am not able to print????
Category: Computer
Expert:  Dave K replied 5 years ago.
Hello. Is the printer connected to your computer or is it on a newtwork or server? When you go to Control Panel Printers do you see that printer listed?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi there and THANKS for replying to my email. I am a novice at computers and I'm an old 63 year old Senior on Social Security and I am at a loss as to what is wrong now to make it quit printing.

My printer is plugged into the USBport on the sideof my Compac laptop. It is not on a network with anyone else. And yes, I do see my printer when I go to the control panel. I I select it as the default printer for my laptop.

I tried to go on MSN Messenger and do the Windows Live thing so that I could talk to our son in Iraq and was given an error that my server was named wrong. I don't know anything about servers, so can you help in that perhaps I can do something you know to fix my being able to talk with my printer and make me be able to print - and is this all you need to know???

THANKS from a little ole Grandma in Texas.

Expert:  Dave K replied 5 years ago.

OK, I'll try to get this worked out for you. First of all, your MSN error referencing a server has nothing to do with the printer, so let's address the printer issue first.

When you display the printers in Control Panel, does your printer say "Ready" next to its icon? Please highlight that printer and right-click on it, then select "Properties". At the bottom of the window that opens will be a button that says "Print test page" - please click that and let me know if a test page prints.

Dave K, Information Systems Manager
Experience: 30+ years experience in I.T., Certified Oracle Developer & DBA, and Director of I.T.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I went to control panel and the printer was there but when I clicked on it and then I right clicked on it but the test page would not print and the square window came up and said the printer was offline. Then when I clicked on the status dropdown and selected Ready, the printer went away from the control panel list.