Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer, Microsoft
Experience:  approx 20 years of experience from software to hardware design

I need to manually backdate my computer back to this morning.

Customer Question

I need to manually backdate my computer back to this morning. How can I do that? I have tried to use System Restore but it chooses the time and doesn't allow me to do it.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Can you tell us what operating system you are using?

Also is there a specific reason you need to restore?

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Windows Vista.

I want to restore to try and get rid of any viruses I may have picked up that now doesnt allow me to engage the internet. I am using my work laptop to write to you but need to have my personal one up and running. I have tried to scan for viruses and it hasnt helped.

Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

Do you have any errors or messages on screen indicating you have a virus?

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

yes.

Runtime Error!

Program: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

In that case can you try restarting the machine and as it boots slowly tap the F8 key till you get to the Safe Mode selection screen, CHoose Safe Mode with Networking and when prompted login as Administrator and try a restore again and choose the advanced option to see if it will offer you a different date, If it will not could you then try opening Internet Explorer and let me know if it will open.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok, I couldn't choose a different date. I opened internet explorer and in this mode it opens fine.
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Great,

In that case could you download and run the free version of Malwarebytes anti malware from here http://www.download.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html?part=dl-10804572&subj=dl&tag=button

Once downloaded run it and follow the directions to allow it to remove anything it finds, After it has finished either reboot or allow Malwarebytes to reboot your machine and let me know what happens.

Thanks

Experience: approx 20 years of experience from software to hardware design
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I restarted my computer normally after your instructions and IE launches fine now. Thanks a bunch. Really appreciate the guidance.

Merry Christmas.

Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Neil,

Glad to hear that got it for you, Just keep copy of Malwarebytes installer savedin a folder in case you have another issue like this in the future that way you can perform a safe mode install and clean out the junk.

Thanks for the accept and have a very Merry Christmas.

Regards