James Riley
James Riley, Sr. Network Engineer
Experience:  A+, MCP, MCSE, 15 years of experience
13911288

I have installed Norton 360 and my pc is now painfully slow

I have installed Norton 360 and my pc is now painfully slow in every aspect. I have spoken to businesses that work on computers and for $200, they will clean everything off, reinstall the programs and then install some free software that works much better than Norton 360. I thought I'd first try uninstalling Norton 360 myself and search for a good free program to replace it. Do you have any ideas or suggestions or am I getting over my head? I'm not real tech savy.

I'd recommend that you remove Norton 360 as well.

To do this, go to start, control panel, add/remove programs, find the Norton 360 and choose remove or uninstall. If you get an error while doing this, click here and follow the steps detailed to manually remove Norton 360.

Once you have done that, Grisoft makes a free antivirus program that you can use if you are not running it on a company system. To download that, click here. If you are looking for a program that is a little better and are willing to purchase it, I'd suggest Trend Micro's Internet Security. (Everyone has an opinion and there are many other good programs out there as well, but this is the one I like and use for myself and all of my customers.)

Please let me know if you need any further assistance.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Your Grisoft "click here" button takes me to the manual Norton 360 uninstall instructions.
Sorry about that. Click here.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have backed up my system and have removed Norton PC JumpStart. When trying to remove Norton 360, it says I have a scan in progress and I should cancel the scan. How do I do this? I have checked all scheduled tasks and this should not be running.

If you open Norton 360, you should be able to see that a scan is running and stop it there.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I had to contact Norton directly to have the program removed. I appreciate your help and apologize for the delay in getting back to you.
No problem. Norton can be a very big problem to get removed. I'm glad it worked.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I researched the security programs you recommended and don't know whether to buy something or take the pc in and have it cleaned up. They said they would load a free security software on it. I ran a free registry cleanup on it and it said there was an MSN registry problem which was rated serious. It then wanted me to pay $99 to have a technician work with me online and then I'd pay to purchase the registry cleanup program to prevent other problems. I'm getting confused and wonder if I should let the professionals work on the pc. Do you have any suggestions?

I'll answer the question about professionals with a few questions:

1. How comfortable do you feel with working on your system in areas that, if you made a mistake, you could completely mess up your system.

2. Is the cost of having someone do it for you worth it?

If you want to work on your system more, I would be happy to walk you through some steps that will go a long way towards cleaning things up. After that, you'll definitely want something on your comptuer to help protect you against viruses and spyware. That said, I tell everyone that no program can stop a user from getting a virus when he's determined to get one. Having a program doesn't mean that you can (not that you do) simply download anything and everything that looks cool on the Internet.

Let me know what you'd like to do.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Right now I'm working from my laptop because I'm afraid to use the internet with the desktop since it has no protection. Since I have backed things up, and have another pc to fall back on, I am willing to chance things if I am likely to get results. Things already work faster with the N360 off of it. I almost purchased the Registry Mechanic last night. I also looked at the free AVG anti-virus and also their internet security programs. Things started getting over my head. If you can help me, and direct me as to what protection I should go with, I'd be glad to work with you. If so, though, I wouldn't have to get everything done in one day, I hope. Xmas is around the corner and I have lots to do.

Okay, here's a few steps to take, then send me the information in these steps and I'll let you know what you can delete and what you can't...this will take you a long ways towards speeding your system up:

1. Click Start > All Programs > Startup
  2. Note everything that shows up in the Startup folder.
  3. Click Start > Run
  4. Type regedit and click OK
  5. In the left-hand pane, navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
  6. Note everything you see in the right-hand pane.
  7. Repeat Steps 5 and 6 but go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE instead of HKEY_CURRENT_USER.
  8. Send me the notes you made from steps 2 and 6.

I'm fine with a delay in this process...whenever you reply,I'll get back to you with what you can safely remove and what you can't remove.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
For #1, my StartUp sayts it's empty.

When I run regedit, the only selections under "h" are:
helpsvc
HidServ
hkmsvc
hpn
hpt3xx
HTTP
HTTPFilter

There is no HKEY.

To make bad matters worse, my daughter has been messing with the pc the last few days attempting to make hotel reservations and it was locking up. She's not used to an older machine and was clicking things over and over again. I found 10 Explorers attempting to open when she through up her hands and gave up. I checked it out afterwards and it needed defragging so I have now done that.
When you go to regedit, you need to collapse (Click all of the - signs) all of the folders to see the list of the HKEY options.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Here's what I have for HKEY_CURRENT_USER:

default

ctfmon.exe

OE

For HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, I have:

default

AdobePhotoDownloader

AppleSyncNotifier

MCMSMMSG

CanonMyPrinter

CanonSolutionsMenu

iTunesHelper

OpwareSE4

QuickTimeTask

SSBkgdUpdate

UfSeAgnt.exe

Can you send me the information in the Data column for each item?

Also, I see that you're running a Canon printer, itunes and QuickTime. Are you okay if some of their helpers don't automatically launch? With the Canon, this might mean that you wouldn't see the ink levels when you print or you won't be able to use the scan buttons on the printer. With iTunes, this will have little effect unless you have an iPod and want iTunes to autolaunch and stuff like that.

Also, do you manage your photos with an Adobe program? If so, do you want the program to automatically launch and download your pictures from your camera when you insert your camera or do you want it to wait till you tell the program to import the pictures?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'll be out of town the rest of this week but will reply when I return.
Sounds good.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER

(Default) - (value not set)

ctfmon.exe - c:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ctfmon.exe

OE - c:\program files\TrendMicro\Internet Security\TMAS_...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

(DEFAULT) - (value not set)

Adobe Photo Downloader - c:\ProgramFiles\Adobe\Photoshop Album Starter Edit...

AppleSyncNotifier - c:\ProgramFiles\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Su...

BCMSMMSG - BCMSMMSG

CanonMyPrinter - c:\ProgramFiles\Canon\MhyPrinter\BJMyPrt.exe/logon

CanonSolutionsMenu - c:\ProgramFiles\SolutionsMenu\CNSLMAIN.exe

iTunesHelper - c:\ProgramFiles\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe

OpwareSE4 - c:\ProgramFiles\ScanSoft\OminiPageSe4\OpwareSE4...

QuickTimeTask - c:\ProgramFiles\QuickTime\qttask.exe"-atboottime

SSBkgdUpdate - C:\ProgramFiles\CommonFiles\ScansoftShared\SSBk...

UfSeAgnt.exe - c:\ProgramFiles\TrendMicro\Internet Security\UfSeA...

I use my Canon printer off and on during the day. It supports a high-end digital camera and has lots of helpers that we do not use unless we plug in the camera to download pictures. We may do that one time a week.

I download podcasts daily unto my iPod. It doesn't need to autolaunch though as long as I can open it when I want it.

I don't know when I use QuickTime. It must do something automatically. As long as I know how to open it if I do need it, I guess it doesn't need to autolaunch.

I flip back and forth between Dell Image Expert and Adobe PhotoShop Elements when working with photos. Should I remove one of these programs? I haven't decided which I like best but can be forced to make the decision if needed.

Okay. Current User is okay.

In Local Machine delete:

Adobe Photo Downloader

AppleSyncNotifier

BCMSMMSG

CanonMyPrinter

CanonSolutionsMenu

iTunesHelper

OpwareSE4 (Ony if you want OmniPage to only function when you have it open.)

QuickTimeTask

SSBkgUpdate

On the photo software, I'd stick with just one app, but I don't think that having both is necessarily hurting you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What the heck is OmniPage?
Its typically used to do OCR (Optical Character Recognition) on pages that you scan in.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'll delete it. Is there anything else I need to do? I'm adding RAM to my pc in the next week or so. I'd like to get this all cleared up before doing that.

The step above will do a good job at speeding up your system. Any other work to speed up your system, other than removing software you don't need, is more involved and would be too difficult and risky to do without having my hands on the system itself.

Depending on how much memory you are utilizing and how much you have, adding RAM may help you get better performance as well.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Before adding more RAM, I'm thinking about uninstalling the majority of the programs on the pc and then run QuickSys which is a free registry defragger that I downloaded. (It was recommended by PCTools magazine. They had a special issue on PC Rescue and free software to use to fix your own pc.) After that, I could add the RAM and then reinstall all the programs, minus the excess photo programs and junk. Things are still loading slowly. Today, when attempting to open a Word doc, the pc began attempting to install Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003 and then I received a message "Installation Error: File not found." It was looking for a file in f:\ITStuff\Office2003. I had plugged in my iPod earlier, after waiting forever for the program to open up, and it had showed files on the f drive. Things are acting weird. Do you think things might improve if I do the uninstalling, etc., mentioned above?

You are welcome to try the QuickSys app but I'll warn you that a lot of those programs mess up a lot more than they fix.

As for the problem with attempting to install MS Office Pro, this is because a standard install was done as opposed to a complete install. As a result, it is calling certain features that aren't installed and can't find them so its trying to install them. It looks like the software was installed from F:\ITStuff\Office2003 and that isn't avaliable anymore.

Again, you are welcome to try uninstalling and using QuickSys but it won't fix the Office issue and you'll run the risk of really making things worse. I think you're to the point where it'd be best to bring in an IT professional to help you further.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ok - I appreciate your help. I'll not do anything further with the QuickSys and instead will head out to the IT professional to get me back up and running.
You're welcome. I wish I could give you easier advice but I just don't want to see you get your system all messed up and some of those programs can do that really quickly for you.