Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer, Microsoft
Experience:  approx 20 years of experience from software to hardware design
5195814

My computer keeps saying not responding or it runs very slow

My computer keeps saying "not responding" or it runs very slow (loading pages) It is a desktop Emachine with 64 athion. That is about all I know about my computer. I login to my SBC provider and it takes a few minutes for the page to come up. Next, I click on mail to check my mail and that takes anywhere from 1 to 10 minutes to load. Before I buy a new computer I wanted to see if I can fix this. I have McAfee through my SBC account, but it does say sometime that it can't install because of another security program. So I 'm not sure if there is some virus or such on my computer.

HI,

Can you tell us what operating system you are using?

Also could you press CTRL+ALT+DEL and when the Task Manager opens could you click the proceses tab and let us know how many processes it shows running in the bottom left of the window.

Thanks

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

It says 83 processes, then 82.

I sorry, but I'm not sure what you mean by what operating system I am using.

Ok,

Could you follow these instructions from NetSquirrel to turn of any non essential startup processes http://netsquirrel.com/msconfig/msconfig_vista.html

Try to turn off anything you dont need then reboot and let us know how many processes you show running.

Thanks

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I turned off as many as I could.

Processes are now at 70.

The computer is still running slow, but there is a definite improvement. I haven't received a not responding message yet.

Ok,

As an example I am running 43 processes on my vista machine so can you use the services search page here to check and see if you need the program runing http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php

You will probably not get yours as low as mine but I am sure there are a few more you do not have to have on boot so let me know how you get on.

Thanks

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

There is only 2 items running in my msconfig (McAfee and Homeportal for my 2wire).

I turned everything else off because I was reading the info at the netsquirrel website and they said Vista has a separate place for processes and that the items in msconfig would not or should not matter in the running of my computer. But, I left the 2 above because I was afraid I would not be able to access the internet if I got rid of my homeportal

Now there are 60 processes and I am still getting the "not responding" or the page loads very slowly. Is there something else I can try?

Ok,

You may have some malware running which may be slowing you down so could you download and run Malwarebytes anti malware from here http://www.download.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html?part=dl-10804572&subj=dl&tag=button

Once you have run a scan and restarted let me know how it responds.

Thanks

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I ran the software and I had 99 malware on my computer. Processes are at 58 and the computer is running faster.

Ok,

After you have used it for a little bit does it still slow down?

Thanks

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Yes, it does slow down.

When I came back to my computer just now, I moved the mouse and clicked on my mail icon. THe computer responded slowly, then I got the not responding message again. It took maybe a minute or two to access my messages

Ok,

Could you try reinstalling the McAffee software and see if it gives you the error now.

If it does could you download and run the free verson of Ccleaner from here http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/ then reboot and let me know howit responds.

Thanks

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I re-installed mcafee. I didn't get any error. I did use ccleaner anyways. My process are at 69, the computer is running very slowly. I'm not sure what to do next.

Sorry, it has taken soo long to rely, but doing these things on my computer takes hours sometimes and there is the Christmas thing happening.

Any suggestions? I did all of your other suggestions. Some work, but it seemed to be temporary.

Thanks for all of your help so far.

Sharon

Ok,

Is the wholde machine slow or is it just online?

Thanks

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I believe the whole machine is slow. There have been times (recently) when I go to open microsoft word and the programs takes alot of time to respond. And, any other program I open does seem to take along time.

Hmmm,

I would like to turn off some of Vistas features to see if freeing up system rescources will help, So could you click Start, Control Panel then select Classic View on teh left hand side and open System.

From teh system menu could you select Advanced options from the bottom of the list on the left.

When the menu opens could you select the performance tab and select Adjust for best performance then click Apply then OK and let me know if it responds better after you restart.

Thanks

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Yes, the computer appears to run faster. The difference is noticable. Processes are at 56. The lowest I have got them to date.

Merry Christmas

Sharon