Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer, Microsoft
Experience:  approx 20 years of experience from software to hardware design
5195814

...setup is being restarted ... loop

Customer Question

...setup is being restarted ... loop
Category: Computer
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

HI,

Can you tell us what you are trying to do, Did you try to reload and it is now hung up in the loop?

How did you try to reload the machine, Was it from a disk or from a recovery partition?

Let us know

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I have most of the discs, I think I used the reinstallation cd. I'm soo sorry, I honestly am so frustrated I don't remember everything I've tried.

diagnostics say: Error Code 1100:0129 msg: The BIOS status indicates the the seek operation (positioning the drive's heads to location (Cylinder: 0000 Head: 00 Sector: 01)) failed.

continued testing and got same except error code 1100:0229...

Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

Can you tell me why you decided to reload the machine?

Does the machine make any whining or clunking noises

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
not sure what you mean by reload...I got the black screen just by restarting....then I put in one of the disks to get it to boot from the disc. I don't think I reloaded anything. No noises at all except the normal whirring when it starts up.
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

In that case can you tell me what you did once you put the disk in the drive to try to boot?

Did it ask you to press or install anything, If so did you do anything?

How did you get to the diagnostic tools?

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I don't believe I did anything to 'install' anything. I just tried to get it to reboot from the cd by changing the boot order to cd instead of hard drive. I got to the diagnostics from F12 and there is a symptom tree and an express test and an extended test....that's where I got the error codes I mentioned above.

Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

By the sounds of things you have two issues, The first is that you accidentally started a reinstall of your operating system which unfortunately can be a bear to stop, What I would like you to do is take the CD out of the drive and then try to reboot and see if you get an error, If so let me know, If it prompts you for the disk can you put it back in and see if it will continue to setup properly at which point we shoud be able to cancel the installation if needed.

The second issue you have is that your Hard drive is reporting a read write error which could mean that your Hard Drive is starting to fail, However try the reboot without any disks in and let us see if the machine will respond correctly.

Let me know what happens.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
there is no cd in the drive and there hasn't been since this happened
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

So if you restart the machine and let it run at the Setup is restarting message does it ask for a disk, give you an error or just reboot?

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
goes to a black screen with large cursor
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

Can you put the CD back in the machine then restart and press enter when it prompts you to press any key to boot from CD.

Let the disk load and when it comes up to the screen that says press enter to install windows or R to run recovery console could you press Enter, At the licence screen press F8 and then at the next screen you shoul dbe prompted to press enter to install windows or press R to Repair.

Press R and let the disk run to repair your windows installation which will compare the files on the disk against those on the machine and replace any damaged files on the machine with originals from the CD.

Let me know what happens or if you get any errors.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
which disc?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

which disc?

I put the windows xp professional disc in (the one I upgraded to about three years ago) but the same thing happens...how do I get to the cd? nothing comes up?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I got through the steps you explained above except after pressing F8 to accept license I got:

Setup has already attempted to upgrade the following Windows installation.

C:/WINDOWS "Microsoft Windows XP Professional"

Setup will try to complete the upgrade again.

to retry upgrading to windows xp, press enter

to continue installing a fresh copy of windows xp without repairing, press ESC

to quit setup press F3

**I am in a bit of a crunch situation here so I proceeded with pressing enter....everything appeared to be running smoothly and then it restarted and the same thing happened. Should I try reloading the windows xp that came with the computer? The one I just used was the xp professional version that I had upgraded to.

Am I going to lose my data by doing any of this? I have tons of photos and documents. I have a backup but I'm not sure it would put it all back, I've never had to.

Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

I do not know what perameters you accidentally used when you tried setup so I can not guarantee your files will be untouched.

If you are concerned about the files all I can really reccomend is to get another hard drive or use another machine so we can copy out your files or using the other drive we can mount it as the primary in your machine then load Windows on it and this way your files will be available.

Let me know which way you prefer to go.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have a portable hard drive that has my backup on it. the backup says about 30 gig so I'm thinking it is a full backup. There is also room to put other things if we need to. How do you recommend proceeding?
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

If we continue setup using your upgrade disk hopefully it will just perform an upgrade at worst which will make all of your files available, However in a worst case scenario your files could be wiped at which point we may have to use a data recovery software such as Ontrack Lite to recover you rlost files which costs approx $90.00

Personally I would go ahead with the setup and hope the backup is complete but I would hate for you to loose anything that is important so it is up to you as to weather you wish to proceed.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

ok, I have a laptop that I'm using now, a portable hard drive with a backup from 12-6 that appears to be complete. I just plugged it into the laptop and I can see in the catalog that everything is there.

I have the windows xp home edition disc and the xp professional disc, one that is xp professional and one that says upgrade.

There is only about 15 gig of room on that portable but I have another with plenty of room for whatever.

Can we restore from that backup or do we need to fix the operating system first? I just wanted to give you all the info I have. My apologies for being so complicated.

Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Lol,

You are fine, I prefer to have more info than not enough.

If you go ahead and finish the installation first, This should allow us to get the machine operating properly so we can then restore your files when you are finished.

So if you can put the disk back in and let it finish the install then tell me when it is done or if you have any issues.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

well now that we're best friends.....I'm using the windows xp home cd...I believe I started this and it got to a part where it asked what partition I wanted to install it on....I'll get it there and let you know.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

ok, I'm at a message:

The following list shows the existing partitions and unpartitioned space on this computer.

to set up windows xp on selected item press enter

to create a partition in the unpartitioned space press C

to delete the selected partition, press D

29322 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi (MBR)

-: Partion1 (FAT) 31 mb 24 mb free

C: partition 2 (NTFS)) 29290mb 4038 mb free

huh?

Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

Make sure C: partition 2 (NTFS)) 29290mb 4038 mb free is selected then choose Enter at to set up windows xp on selected item press enter.

If prompted choose leave drive alone (Do not format)

THen if prompted choose specify destination and change from C:\Windows to C:\Windows new

Let me know if you have any other issues.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I'm really just seeing how well you know your stuff:

You chose to install Windows XP on a partition that contains another operating system. Installing Windows XP on this partition might cause the other operating system to function improperly.

CAUTION: Installing multiple operating systems on a single partition is not recommended. go to www.microsoft.com/windows/multiboot.asp

to continue setup using this partition press C

select a different partition press ESC

antie up!!

Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

Press C to continue and it should ask you to specify a destination folder, Just name it C:\Windowsnew.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

those aren't my choices

setup will install windows xp on the partition

C: Partition2 (NTFS)

on 29322............

use up and down arrow to select the file system you want and then press enter.. if you want to select a different partition for windows xp press esc

format the partition using the NTFS file system -quick

format the partition using the FAT file system-quick

format the partition using the NTFS file system

format the partition using the FAT file system

Leave the current file system intact (no changes)

Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Lucky for me I can type fast....

CAUTION: A \WINDOWS folder already exists that may contain a Windows installation. If you continue the existing Windows installation will be overwritten.

All files, subfolders, user accounts, applications, security and desktop settings for that Windows installation will be deleted. The "MY DOCUMENTS" folder may also be deleted.

to use the folder and delete the existing Windows installation in it press L

to use a different folder, press ESC

to quit press F3

Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

Choose to use a different folder, press ESC and do what I said earlier.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

it comes up

\WINDOWS and I typed new after that and got

the folder name you typed is not valid. make sure the folder name is XXXXX XXXXX root folder and does not contain any consecutive backslash characters.

also make sure the folder name follows the standard MS-DOS filename rules.

to continue press ENTER setup will prompt you to enter a different folder name

are you sick of me yet?

Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

Try just making it \window2

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

going-----!

setup is copying files

what's next?

Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

That was the easy part.................................Just Kidding!

Just follow the prompts to let it install and once it is done we may have to download the correct drivers but we will deal with that once it is loaded.

Let me know once it is finished or if you have an issue.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

it appears to be installing, it is pretty blue again and is at the point past preparing installation.....installing Windows then the next part is finalizing installation....it says it will complete in approx 36 minutes....is there anything you can tell me that I might need to do because I really need to get to bed...I have to be up in six hours.

Thank you SOOOOOO much!

Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Nope.

Just let it finish and once it finishes and boots to windows could you then click Start, Run and type Devmgmt.msc then hit enter.

Let me know if it shows anything with a yellow mark, If it does can you tell me what make and model it is.

That way Ican get you links so you can download the drivers you may need so we can get it all the way up and copy your files.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok, It's been saying it will complete in approx 33 minutes for a while now but I'm going to bed. I'll check it in the morning and do as you said above. you obviously don't do this during the day so hopefully we can finish this up tomorrow......still says 33 minutes, I'm getting nervous.
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

Let it run overnight and see if it works, If not the fact you got a hard drive error would indicate that we may have to change it for a new one, However if this is the case they are not very expensive so dont worry.

Just let me know what happens in the AM

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Please select the operating system to start:

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

Microsoft Windows XP Professional Edition

I took too long to decide and it went to the home edition...why were there two?

No, I couldn't go to bed because once I figured out it was waiting for me to choose some things it zipped right along.

I typed in what you said and the yellow are all in other devices:

dell A940

Ethernet Controller

Multimedia Audio Controller

PCI Simple Communications Controller

Scan

SM Bus Controller

Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

do I now have both operating systems on here because it gave me the choice? that looked wierd....

Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

What we did was to load a second operating system which is why you have a choice, The new one we installed or finished installing is the one which will load by default so this is good.

Now we need to install your drivers so I need to know the make and model.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Dell Dimension 2350

I have two cd's that say drivers and utilities:

Dell Dimension Resource CD--device drivers, diagnostics and utilities etc

and Dell A940 Printer

I'm really going to bed now...if you can leave instructions that would be great but if we need to continue tomorrow I'll be home all day...off until January 5!!!!

thanks!!!

Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

If you have the disks then jus put the driver disk in the machine and ollow the prompts to load the drivers, Once you are done go ahead and load the utility disk.

After you have done that install your Antivirus if you have one or a free one from here if you dont DANGEROUS URL REMOVED (just save it to your desktop and double click it to install) then restart again.

After that right click your Start button and choose Explore, Browse to Documents and Settings and look in the user folders for the My Documents folder that contains your files etc then Hold down the CTRL key an press A to select all the files in the folder and then CTRL+C to copy them.

Next browse to your My Documents folder from the desktop or from the Start menu and once the folder is open press CTRL+V to paste all of your files into it, Just say yes to all if it asks you to replace anything.

Once it is finished copying all of your files should be available in your folder.

After you have done that check to see if your files are all there and let me know so we can remove the old copy of Windows and any old file syou dont need.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I can see some of my files and photos but not all my programs, etc.

--I am curious about the two choices of operating system that showed up

--I am wondering if my backup would be of any help right now

--I know all my photos aren't on here unless in the copying, etc. I just haven't gotten that far yet.

Thank you so much for all your help so far....

Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

the reason you have two OS choices is oneis th old version that is damaged and the other is the new one we just finished putting in.

YOur backup may be of some help if we cannot get everything back but we need to check few things first.

If you could right click the Start menu and choose explore thn look in C:\Documents and Settings you should see a series of files named after your usernames, If you open each one in turn you should find the old file with your username and in the My Documents folder you should see all of your files.

Let me know once you have found them.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to the night shift!

I found them but I'm not sure how to tell if everything's there. I don't see some of the programs or is it too early?

Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Thanks,

Your programs are there but we will need to address those in just a minute.

First could you tell me if you opened the Username folders under Documents and Settings and found your old My Documents folder?

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

Could you open the old My Documents folder and click in the right window then hold down the CTRL key and press A to select all of the files then press the CTRL key and press C to copy them all.

Once you have done that look up above the My Computer icon and open your My Documents folder then press and hold the CTRL key and press V to paste the files into your new My Documents folder, If you are prompted just hit yes to all to replace any files and once finished close any open window sand open your My Documents folder from either the desktop or from the Start menu and check to see if everything looks like it is there.

graphic

Let me know how you get on.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I know this sounds simple but I have under C Documents and settings then administrator, All users, Barb, Default User, Guest and Owner....do I just take the whole documents and settings folder?
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

No,

For example if you open the c:\documents and settings\owner\my documents folder on the left of the screen n the tree view you should see the contents of the folder in the right pane.

Click in the right pane then holddown the CTRL key and press A then CTRL C then open the My Documents folder at the top of the list on the left like in the picture and press CTRL V on the right hand pane.

Does that make sense?

E

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I don't have that same organization---

Mine is:

C:

Documents and Settings

Administrator

All Users--which has shared documents, which has a folder for each of us

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

too quick of a reply...sorry

then inside Barb there is Barb's documents

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I have document folders all over the place....can I copy the whole documents and settings folder or not?

Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

You can but it is better to copy the contents unless we need to copy more than one folder.

If you have all of your files in one My Documents folder and that is all you need to copy then move the contents of the folder rather than the folder itself if you need to copy 2 or 3 my documents folders then you can copy the entire folder and put it inside your main My Documents folder at the top of the list.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

ok, I think I did it right...it said it was going to take 43 minutes then it beeped and said it cannot copy invite (copy of a graduation invitation that was on the desktop)..cannot find the specified file. make sure you specify the correct path and file name. I hit ok and it stopped everything. When I found the "invite" and tried to delete it is said cannot delete file: cannot read from the source file or disk.

this just keeps getting more complicated.....I'm afraid if I stop it here it will miss the other 40 minutes of copying my photos, etc.

Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

In that case can you try copying blocks of files from one to the other.

Click on the first file you want to copy then hold down the SHIFT key an click on the last file which should select all files in between and then CTRL C to copy and CTRL V to paste.

This way you can copy blocks of files so if you get an error like this you can continue and not try to copy the damaged or missing file.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

now I'm running out of disc space....can I delete some of the stuff from below that I've copied to the one above already? My daughter has a ton of music on here so I'm going to check to make sure it's either on her ipod or on the backup and finish this tomorrow. I'm sooo sorry to have been such a pain.

I'm afraid I have so much duplicate stuff on here now that it's going to mess something else up.

A direct question: Can I delete everything I've copied to the my documents folder above and just copy a fresh set of what I need? It looks like I have duplicate files below ...

there is C Drive then D then E then Control panel then it starts again with documents....I think I need to delete some of these....the purpose is to end up with what I want in the first my documents folder as in your picture, right....

Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Yes,

You are absolutely correct you are wanting to just have one main My Documents folder with a single copy of what you want.

You can either delete the duplicates after you have copied them or you can just empty your main My Documents folder and copy only what you want then delete the files in the old My Documents folder when you are finished copying.

Sorry that it is taking so long but if you have a lot of files it is time consuming.

One last thing is that you dont want to remove the My Music folder as apart fromthe music files it carries all of the backups for your daughters iPod so that one is best to copy then remove the old ones.

Thanks