Barun, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience in providing support for tech-related issues, including computers, email and software.

A kid caused my sound to echo . How do I get rid of this

A kid caused my sound to "echo". How do I get rid of this echo effect?

Could you elaborate where do you get this 'echo' you are referring to, in Windows sounds, or while playing any music/video files? Also, since when has this issue been occurring?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I amabout ready to go to work, so this will be my last post till this eavning. It is like all the audio is run through an echo chamber before it gets to the speakers. The allert sounds echo. Music is in echo mode. audio news,and tutorials all echo, to the point I can't understand what is being said.
Ok ..from what it looks like, it has something to do with the bass settings tuned in your speakers. If you would mention the make & model of the speakers you are using, I'll be able to guide you on how to reset your speaker settings so as to resolve the issue ..keep me posted.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I would have paid the $30, but I didn't have it on my visa debit card.    Anyhow, Speakers are Altec Lansing BX1120. There is also this number 8UA7.   Thank you
Ok ..there should be a 'TONE' control on your speakers set ..does tweaking it make any difference to the 'echo' sound you are getting?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I tweaked the tone controll on the speakers, and the echo effect did not go away. However as I tweaked the tone control, I found a point where I can make out more words through the echo effect, but the echo is still there, which makes audio information useless.
Ok ..please specify if you get this issue in a specific program, or any media program you try to run ..this may help me interpret the problem better.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Any sound that comes through the speaker has the echo. If a pop up is blocked, the sound has the echo. I tried to listen to a voice mail message that comes through my juno e-mail account, and have the echo. any music will have the echo. any vidio I download and try to play will have the echo.   Most recently, I have been trying to understand a tutorial from think or swim with an audio componant, and have the echo.
    My ex-girlfriend let her chileren use the computer at will. After they left, I had to replace missing things, like moniter, speakers, keyboard. And since that time,and I presume before that time I have had this echo problem. I have no way of knowing what type of add on they might have left me.
First off, my apologies for the delay in my response ..I was away for a while.

As for your issue, since your speakers settings don't seem relevant to the same now, it may have something to do with the sound card device settings in your system; could you mention the make & model of the computer you are using, so that I can follow up further?

Before that, please try doing a System Restore of your computer and see if it resolves the issue, following the enlisted steps:
1) Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore, and open the same.
2) In the window that comes up, enable Restore my computer to an earlier time, and click Next.
3) Now, a calender list should come up; please select a date prior to when you started having the issue with your speakers, and select a Restore Point in the corresponding right side of the list, as well.
4) Now follow the instructions given and reboot your system, then check if the issue still persists. If so, please get back to me with the info I had requested earlier.

Keep me posted.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The system restore went pretty well, however the calender would not go back any further than Sept 14, 2008. So I used that. The report came through that there has not been any changes in that period of time. At that time, I tried it again just in case I might go farther back in time than Sept 14, 2008. But I could not.   I have an emachine w3622. I hope this helps. I am leaving home for a half hour or so. Will be back.     and thanks again.
             &nbs p;                               joe
Ok ..please carry out the enlisted steps and see if they fix up the issue all right:
1) Download the latest sound card device driver for your W3622 system, using the following link:
2) Now, go to Start > Run, then type in devmgmt.msc. In the Device Manager window that comes up, look for and right-click on your Realtek audio device, then click on the 'Uninstall' option to uninstall the device from your system.
3) Done that, reboot your computer, then open and install the audio driver file you had downloaded earlier, in order to reinstall the same following the instructions accordingly as they come up.

Hopefully, this should do it ..let me know how it goes.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It works !! I thought I would have to buy a new computer to get rid of that echo.   It has been so long, I forgot what it was like to have realistic sound.   Thank you
Glad to see your issue fixed ..thanks for using Just Answer!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I cannot tell from my end if you did in fact get paid.   Let me know.   I have added more money to my debit card, so we can try it again if we have to.   By the way...the computer sound is still working great.   Thank you    Joe Doyle.
Not to worry ..I did get paid from your side ..have a nice day ahead!