w.olson
w.olson, Systems Administrator
Experience:  10+ years as a Systems Administrator working for an Internet Service Provider.
13601246

my dell xps 400 wont turn on

Customer Question

my dell xps 400 won't turn on
Category: Computer
Expert:  Claws224 replied 6 years ago.

Can you give us a little more detail, Did it shut itself down and now refuses to power or did it just refuse to power up when you tried to start like normal?

If you do try to power it up do you see any lights or get any beeps or other noises, Does the screen show anything?

Let us know.

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i shut it off when i went to bed and now i will not turn back on and there are no lights on in the front of the pc.
Expert:  Claws224 replied 6 years ago.

Ok,

first of all could you look at the back of the machine to see if there are any lights on, If there are could you let me know which ones.

If not could you try plugging something else such as a table light into the same outlet as he computer so we can make sure the machine is getting power.

Let me know

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
there is a green light in the back and i know it's not outlet already checked it.
Expert:  Claws224 replied 6 years ago.

Ok,

Can you tell me where the green light is, Is it next to the power cord?

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
its at the bottom right side in the back of the tower
Expert:  Claws224 replied 6 years ago.

Ok,

Could you try unplugging the plug from the wall and then press and hold the power button down for a minimum 30 seconds, release hte power button then reconnect the power and wait another 30seconds then try to power the machine up.

Let me know if anything happens.

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
nothing has changed
Expert:  Claws224 replied 6 years ago.

Ok,

Could you unplug everything but the power cord and let me know if the green light remains lit, If so try to power up the machine and let me know what happens.

Also how old is this machine?

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i have tried that already.it is 3yrs old
Expert:  Claws224 replied 6 years ago.

Ok,

As you have tried everything I am suggesting I will opt out and see if another expert can step in and help you.

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

k i dont know if this has anything to do with the problem but it was showing system resorce low before i shut it down

Expert:  w.olson replied 6 years ago.
Okay, since you have tried about every known method to get it to start up here's my 2c:

If absolutely nothing happens when you press the power button and you know it's getting power(it is since there is a light on on the back):
Your problem is one of the following:
A)The wire running from your power switch to the motherboard has come loose or the power switch has shorted/failed.
B)Your power supply has failed.
C)Your motherboard has failed.

These are listed in the order of cheapest and easiest to fix.

If A is suspect, make sure that the connector on the end of the wires going from the power switch to the mother board is firmly in place. If it is, then the switch could still be bad remove the front of the case pull the switch out and take it to a radio shack or other similar store to find a replacement.

If B is suspect(honestly this is the most likely) write down the specifications of your power supply(should be written on a sticker on the side of the metal box(inside the computer case) that the power cord plugs into. And go to a computer shop and buy a new one. (Probably going to be somewhere around a 400-500 watt ATX power supply).. Swap them out and give it power.

If C is suspect, cry.. lol.. No, you have options, but most of them are going to result in a complete reload of the operating system, or at least a repair. You can try to find a direct replacement same brand and model number, but that will likely be a hard to find item given that it's 3+ years old. If you can't find a direct replacement you may want to consider buying a newer motherboard, processor, and RAM..

I hope this information helps you resolve the problem.. If so, please click "accept". If not, I tried. Good Luck!
w.olson, Systems Administrator
Experience: 10+ years as a Systems Administrator working for an Internet Service Provider.