Dan - Master Tech
Dan - Master Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 35 years experience in the service and repair of all types of electronic equipment.

Why do the videos keep freezing up when I try to watch them

Customer Question

Why do the videos keep freezing up when I try to watch them online(example; news casts or movies). How can I fix the problem? Thank you for your time and help.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Dan - Master Tech replied 5 years ago.
GreetingsCustomer before I try to narrow down where your problem may be, can you give me details of your setup? The CPU speed and amount of RAM along with the type of internet connection you have and any other information you feel may help.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Greetings to you also Dan. My computer is a Toshiba Satellite, pentium (R)4 CPU, 2.80 GHz, 2.79GHz, 480 MB of RAM is this what you need?

Kama

What are you using for an internet connection? DSL, Cable? Are you connecting to it by wireless or ethernet?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I am using cable. I am conncecting by my wireless laptop.

Kama

Thanks Kama. I would like you to open the Task Manager (right-click on Task Bar and select) and then click on the Performance tab. Without any major programs running, make note of what percentage of CPU Usage there is. Then open and try to play a video that you are having problems with and make a note as to what the CPU usage is then. Let me know what both readings were.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

It bounces back and forth from 2% to 15% with just justanswer running.

When I try to run an online video, it jumps to 8-100%. This is when ithe video locks up and the CPU usage goes back down to 4-11%

Thanks

Kama

Do you have Firefox installed? I would be interested to see if a different browser resulted in a lower CPU demand.
Also (oversight on my part), doing the same thing you did earlier monitoring the CPU usage, can you monitor and note the before and during usage of the Physical Memory? Make note of the Total, Available and System Cache when not running programs and then running the online video.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I do have firefox installed. The readings using firefox with no major programs running were ;

CPU 1-8%

PF usage 620

Total physical memory 490992

Available 170912

system cache 106764

The reading with attempting to run video

CPU 100%

Total physical memory 490992

Available 131560

System cache 114292

Kama

Is your computer capable of running a DVD movie or a downloaded (playing off the hard drive) video file without any problems? What is the model of the Toshiba Satellite?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

It will play off of a DVD but I can not get a video to download properly from online or when it downloads it still freezes up when watching it. It is the A25-S279.

Kama

Working on some possible solutions. I will post them in a short while.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Would it be ok to resume this tomorrow evening? Please do not think I am trying to be rude.

Kama

I don't mind at all Kama, it is certainly not being rude. It is after 10pm here so I will sign off soon myself. In the meantime, I will put together some suggestions and you can view them tomorrow. Have a good night.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you. You have a good night too.

Kama

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hello Dan,

I apologize for taking so long to respond back. My son had a car accident and we just got home about 30 minutes ago.

Were you able to put together any sugestions? I never had problems with locking up and slowness until I started taking classes online and had to download different CD's. I always uninstall them when the class is finished. It has gotten to the point where I do a complete restore after every semester.

Thanks for your help,

Kama

Hello Kama, I hope your son is OK. I am working on another question at the moment and will post something here in a short while.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

He is fine, thank you for asking.

Kama

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Dan,
I hope you do not mind, I am going to call it a night. It was a pretty stressful afternoon. I appreciate your patience. Will try to sign in earlier tomorrow evening. I hope you have a good evening.
Sincerely,
Kama
Sorry I couldn't get back sooner Kama. Have a good night, talk to you tomorrow.
Since your problem is not unique and is shared by many others, I've been doing a bit of reasearch and, while I still have a list of minor tweaks and suggestions, decided to have you try this first.
Bitsum Technologies - Process Lasso (32-bit version)
This has gotten some very good responses from those who have tried it. I'm installing it on my laptop to see how much of a difference it makes.
If you get a chance to try it, let me know.