James Riley
James Riley, Sr. Network Engineer
Experience:  A+, MCP, MCSE, 15 years of experience
13911288

dvd made in rca dvr ,drc8052nb wont open in computer drive.

Customer Question

rca drc8052nb dvr , dvd +rw, plays on other dvd player , won't open drive in computer, disc is finalized. drive is new pioneer, computer is windows xp, dvd made on computer plays on rca dvr.
Category: Computer
Expert:  James Riley replied 6 years ago.

Is the drive in your computer a DVD drive or a CD drive?

If it is a CD drive, it won't be able to read DVDs.

If it is a DVD drive, do you have the make and model of the DVD drive you are trying to play it on, but can't? Most DVD drives, now, can handle DVD+ and DVD-, but some of the older ones only handle one or the other so it is possible that the drive you're trying to read the DVD from cannot read that Disc type.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am a bench tech, here is drive information it is a newer drive (has light scribe) , pioneer dvd drive model dvr-113np, maybe it has a different dvd structure , title and chapters, it says in menu it has divx, is this what it records in? haven't found a service or operating manual yet. it will be obsolete in feb. (analog tuner) .

Its possible that the DVR is encoding it in DivX and that you don't have the codec on your computer.

First, I'd pop the disc into the DVD drive on your computer and see if you can browse the disc to see any file/folder structure. If so, its possibly a codec issue and I'd try downloading the DivX codec from www.divx.com. If it doesn't see the file/folder structure, the DVD drive can't read the disc...it is probably a compatibility issue as even some newer drives don't support both the + and - standards.

Let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I will download divx, the disk does not open to see the file structure, will install divx and try again

Okay. If it doesn't open to see the file structure, I doubt that DivX will work...it is probably a problem with the DVD drive on your computer recognizing the disc as a whole.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
whole what? it will open almost anthing except damaged discs

With technology constantly advancing, new formats come out and devices don't always recognize those new formats. It appears that the DVD drive on your comptuer doesn't recognize the formatting of the DVD that you created. In this case you have a DVD+RW and I'd venture a guess that your DVD drive only recognizes DVD-RWs....This would be why it can't even read the file structure of the disc.

It is possible that the manufacturer of the DVD drive has published a firmware update for the DVD drive that might allow it to recognize the DVD+RW format. I'd suggest you go to the manufacturer's website and see if they have one that you can download and install. If that doesn't work and you need to be able to read the DVD+RW disc, the easiest option might be to go to your local store and buy a new DVD drive that supports both the + and - formats.

James Riley, Sr. Network Engineer
Experience: A+, MCP, MCSE, 15 years of experience
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
divx was it , but didn't know where to find it thanks,
Anytime. Have fun watching the videos.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am a tech with mostly analog background, can do hardware computer , this is good training for me in operating skills
Glad to hear it...happy computing!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thank you , I will tell others with tech problems